Local / Home Daily Job Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by pypfm, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    What kind of animals do you got?

TNSquire and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

DARKNIGHTRUCKER Light Load Member

May 3, 2020
    I've been driving for 2 months otr (graduated Trucking School in May ) . Not really sure what I want to do long term tbh .

I'm fine with OTR right now (29, no wife /kids/dependants and my parents are healthy ) . I wouldn't say I'm living the good life , I miss my friends and family members , my room , bed, custom built gaming PC. But it's not bad , I manage to get at least a day off every week usually and the main thing I like is just finally being self sufficient and not living with a bunch of other people who really don't want me living with them .

I've thought alot about local but from everything I've heard these jobs are harder than otr . I see local driving ads that commonly say "work until the route is done" and many complaints about getting overworked, always constantly stopping to unload several times a day (you doing the unloading) , being home daily but working so much don't really have time for much else.

I think the answer for me might be somewhere between both extremes. Maybe some sort of dedicated regional route where I'm home once a weekend or every other weekend. 3+ weeks on the road can get pretty draining sometimes you just want to come home bit more often to recharge or see your family .

Had a friend who had another sort of job where she basically lived on site at her job for 2-3 weeks but then she'd be home for a whole week at least . If I could do something like that and not take a massive paycut due to the home time that'd be cool

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @DARKNIGHTRUCKER
    Find a state and area you prefer and start taking home time there. Rent a motel and car and look around the area. Research states with a friendly tax structure such as Florida, Texas, Nevada. Something will click and you'll never look back.
    South Dakota is good also if you don't mind some harsh winter weather. Other than that, it's a resident friendly state with no personal income taxes.

Coffey Thanks this.
  5. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I would say to specialize in some fashion. Those drivers are in demand enough that they have a little more freedom.

If you stay doing dry van, just about anyone can do that with SOME level of proficiency, so you'll be treated like just about anyone.

DARKNIGHTRUCKER and Coffey Thank this.
  6. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

May 3, 2020
    You have some examples of specialties?

LtlAnonymous and Coffey Thank this.
  7. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Try out spotting trailers I'm on the Sunset of my of my career , and wish I would have done it sooner hourly wages start in the mid twentys.
    Find a private company gig , stay away of the 3pls on a contract , get paid what you are owed hourly and OT after 40 or 8 , no free giveaway labor doing this gig.
    Must be willing to work outside in all conditions rain or shine.
    Sleep in your own bed every night and carry a lunch box with what you want to eat , also a great way to network you will meet a lot of folks.
    Good Luck..

dwells40 Thanks this.
  8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I spent my first 7 years of my career In a day cab, had enough time to go home shower eat and pass out, don’t remember what came up but something did and my boss had to coax me into a couple extra bucks to run a can out west and spend 2 nights in the truck, Getting a good nights sleep after doing the same thing ended up working much better, got back to the yard and boss says hey your day cabs all set you can have it back, said no thank you I’m keeping this one.

I do 2-3 nights in my truck now, maybe 4 with the out and back stuff, inverter, fridge, microwave, George foreman tv/direct tv, I’m really roughing it..... I personally can only take so much of local too looking at the same mail box 20 times a day.

I would have no interest in spending 12 weeks away from home for $600 a week however

9. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    LTL, tanker, flatbed, hazmat, chemical, cryo, automotive hauling, boat hauling, union jobs. All kinds of flavors out there.

10. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

May 3, 2020
    I don't even get anywhere near 600!!! Lol. I really need to get with a company that pays better , I could make the same money I'm making now in retail or fast food sadly

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  11. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Wait your making less then 600 otr? If so you need to find a new gig fast

Redtwin, UturnGirl and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.