Local O/O

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Rome8911, May 26, 2019.

1. Rome8911

Rome8911 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Is owning or leasing a daycab worth it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RicoNC

RicoNC Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Raleigh/Clayton, NC
    Otr or local I DONT THINK LEASING is a good option... why would you pay to work instead of getting pay for.it? Go with a company, save some money and then buy your own truck...
    That's my 0.02

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  4. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    You’d have to be very sure about having steady, profitable work for it.

I used to see an O/O doing shuttle runs for UNFI. But he was using a sleeper cab and it was only temporary for a few months until they were able to fill the run with a company driver.

5. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    I run otr with day cab w9. I still make money.

6. Rome8911

Rome8911 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I live in Tacoma wa...I was thinking I could just get a daycab and maybe go on a load board or two and just run from Seattle to Portland and back figured with a daycab it would be cheaper

7. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Daycabs are fine and you can haul more freight, weight. With all that extra dough you can take your 10 in a motel, hotel.

8. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    My current gig uses daycabs. We do quite a lot of overnight or 2-day runs. The hotel instead of a sleeper in a truck stop is really very nice. When I go O/O again (it's not if) I will be using a daycab. As mentioned, that little extra capacity, maneuverability, and I've gotten spoiled, being able to sleep in air conditioning or heat, with a shower when I get up in the morning.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I know a guy who bought an old R&L daycab twin screw tractor and hauls containers around town with it. He makes decent money but he hustles for it. The other drawback is buying his own health insurance, etc. The impressive gross numbers get whittled down quite a bit after it's all said and done.

stillwurkin, Cardfan89 and road_runner Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.