Local roads not marking no truck routes.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RayBlaszak, Dec 14, 2018.

1. RayBlaszak

RayBlaszak Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I am getting beyond frustrated with these local municipalities that dont put a sign at an intersection that clearly says no trucks etc. Today, I made it 1/2 a mile down the street before I saw a sign that said no trucks. Another time I followed a truck route and ran into a 3T weight limit bridge. I had to get a wrecker to get towed out because I couldn't get out of that situation without one. For you veteran drivers how do you handle driving down local roads when the local directions are poor, they wont answer the phone, etc. I ask because I am beyond frustration every time I end up in these situations delivering to these small little warehouses that arent meant for OTR trucks.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Sounds like driving here in Saskatchewan, also Manitoba.
    If they do put up a sign , like you say, it’s a half mile after you are already committed. I came upon an 8 ton bridge like that, but it was only ten feet long, so I only had one axle group at a time on it. I was grossing about 68 tons and had no problem. I wasn’t going to backup four miles if they are too cheap to put the sign up back where it would have been helpful.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I rely on my RM 740 since I haul HazMat. If I tell it what HazMat I'm hauling it does a good job. When it's wrong, it ALWAYS wrong saying an OK route is restricted and NEVER (so far) saying a restricted route is OK. It will also take note of the size/weight/width dimensions of my truck, if I enter them.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I just drive through them. I've driven over many 5T bridges, down no truck routes, etc. The only thing I will pull over for is a low clearance. When I was hauling fuel to gas stations you would run down these local roads every day, so you just learn to stop worrying and caring. Not saying it's right, but it is what it is.

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I think the primary reason for putting no truck or weight limit signs well after you are committed to a road is the local government wanting ticket revenue. That being said, here's how I deal with it.

1. Stop, set your parking brake, turn on the 4-ways, put out triangles, then call the local police and explain your predicament. I've done this several times, never got a ticket, sometimes an apology from the officer for bad signage, and always got thanked for the call.

2. If a good turn around is available well behind me on a country road I often back up a mile or more. Get out and walk to figure it out. Locals often stop to help.

3. If I have time, like on a 30 minute break or taking a 10, I "predrive" the small road route in Google Street View. Often you see those signs and realize it's a no go.

4. If I can't find a good route with Google or my Rand McNally GPS I call the customer. Sometimes their recommended route is restricted. In that case call the local police and get their advice, "Oh THAT road...yeah it's the only way to several businesses, we should have taken down the signs long ago." < true story...

I frequently have to take restricted routes getting to and from oil wells. We are provided with turn by turn directions and can't vary from them. Sometimes there are provisions, like certain hours are restricted or speed limits for oilfield traffic is set at 15 mph for example.

Frequently that route might mean crossing bridges with weight limits as little as 4 tons, but usually those are short bridges over a culvert. Some of the dirt county "roads" can get very very interesting

7. RayBlaszak

Aug 20, 2015
    What is an RM740? I don't pull HAZMAT and neither does my company for the most part

8. RayBlaszak

Aug 20, 2015
    I'm assuming you mean Rand McNally? I have the Garmin Dezl but it will literally route you down roads that are restricted and restrict roads that arent.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  9. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    6EA16A3A-A475-4432-BE7E-88E404C4FE84.jpeg
    Lol woodys is famous Redirect Notice

10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Be sure to frequently update your truck GPS. Every update improves road and route accuracy.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  11. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Get trucker gps like garmin or Rand. They are accurate. Oops I see u did that. Ok just follow woodys advice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.