Local roads not marking no truck routes.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RayBlaszak, Dec 14, 2018.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Thing about this is if you get caught, you can be paying huge fines that could potentially put you out of business... Crossing a 5T bridge, what happens if it collapses? I personally would never risk that. I think between a truckers map, Google maps, and calling a customer for directions should pretty much eliminate most of this...

Woodys Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    one time, there was a customer that is located on a road which can only get to on one side, the other side has a no truck sign. that was the most annoying 30+ minutes detour ever, and that road was only about 0.8 mile long. couldnt really figure it out wth is going on at first

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    That's why I own a Rand McNally and got rid of my Garmin. RM is far from perfect, but as far as a truck GPS is concerned, it's the best out there for routing and restricted routes.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Once I ignored my RM advice in Ohio because it looked stupid to take such a long route. I’m smarter than the GPS! In 3 minutes I was on a local no trucks road and a local cop pulled me over. He wrote me a ticket. Luckily he didn’t call for the other officers to come do an inspection. But I got a $200 ticket. First thing I did is come on here and asked if I’m in big trouble. I wasn’t.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Your completely right. I'm not saying what I do is "right" or even smart for that matter. I'm just being honest. I pre-plan all my routes, use street views to make sure I can make certain turns that look tight, and sometimes will sattelite view a back road to see if I can find any semi trucks running that road. But if I have my route all planned out, and 3 miles down a road it wants to tell me I'm not supposed to be on there ... well tough. I'm comfortable chancing it ... wether it be a weight limited bridge or a ticket for a truck restricted road. Like I had said before, when I was running fuel tanks I would constantly run weight restricted bridges and no truck roads just to get to a gas station that had no other way to access it. Other time I would run through a truck restricted road because the legal way would cost me 12-15 miles each way. I've ran past many cops when I was on truck restricted routes that didn't bat an eye at me. Having said that, I had co-workers that got popped more than once for taking a shortcut through a restricted road ... so I know it's not free. Some of these weight restricted bridges have fully loaded local food trucks, gas trucks, construction and dump trucks running over them every day. Again, I'm not saying it's right ... but I'm not about to stress out everytime I see a weight restricted bridge or no truck sign.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Lepton1 and JonJon78 Thank this.
  7. RayBlaszak

RayBlaszak Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2015
    A lot of the places my company goes are off the beaten path. For example, this week I've only seen 1 distribution center. The other places have been little small warehouses or even building supply places. 95% of the places we go have very good local directions. My company also has an app where drivers help each other. I never rely on my GPS once I leave the interstate. My question was referring to what happens when they dint answer your phone and you dont rely on GPS. The other day in Albany I missed my turn (my mistake) but why cant cities post signals that clearly says no thru trucks etc

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. RayBlaszak

RayBlaszak Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Both my trainers had Rand McNallys. I wasnt impressed. There are things I like that both have. Garmin picks up signs from intersections. But 99% of the time it's very accurate. I just updated it this month since it hadn't been updated in a while and I haven't been having the issue with the new update

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I ran a twelve ton bridge today getting in and out of a frack site. Concrete bridge, about 30' wide, on a dirt road. It was on the designated turn by turn directions. I was following a truck pulling a three axle pump, putting him at 55 tons. I figured my iddy biddy 35 tons was good.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Best I ever did was a fully overloaded log truck over a marked 3-ton crossing in the woods, and it held just fine. Don't worry...I tested it out first with the empty truck on my way in.;)

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    i speed up to get off that road asap

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.