Local to OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dragonheart, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Dragonheart

Dragonheart Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2018
    I graduated a few weeks ago. I want experience but I want to stay home so I found a local job delivering coke.

In two years I want to go over the road.

Will local delivery help or at least shorten the amount of training needed for over the road?
    Will the experience help in making more?

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, it's ok to do the beverage delivery. Later companies will hire you and put you through a refresher course. In the mean time, get all the endorsements so you'll be prepared for the better paying jobs.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Careful now. Get that soda pop stuff in your blood and you won't give it up. Some of those store DSD clerks are VERY easy on the eyes!

Texas_hwy_287 and SingingWolf Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's one example that hires in your area:
    CTL Transportation, LLC
    Atmore, AL
    $1,100 - $1,200 a week
    Recent Grads .55 cpm plus $19/hr and $1500 sign on bonus.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

VIDEODROME and SingingWolf Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I don’t know your experience level, I don’t know what you can or cannot do. If you’re local and have a manual truck, you do a lot of shifting. When you decide to go OTR, DONT go to a training company. Especially if you’re pulling the same type of trailer as the local. You won’t need training and a training company will tell you that you do. Don’t join the circus just because you’re wanting to travel.

Luck in battle.

7. Dragonheart

Aug 24, 2018
    I have an automatic but I can drive a manual. Werner told me local experience does not matter. The trailer is 48’ and on occasion I pull a 53’
    I’m noticing different companies say different things. Martin Transportation told me I did not need training if I have six months experience
    Werner told me local did not matter.
    I will start next week so I don’t know if I’ll have good or bad experience

8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Most OTR companies don't consider local as experience. However you are the complete opposite of a lot of drivers. Most otr drivers are sick of it and want to get a local job. I haven't heard of any local saying they want to go OTR.

Living in FL is a challenge for some OTR companies. And that's because FL freight doesn't pay well coming out of the state. But look into reefer companies for OTR there.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Werner is a training circus. Of course, they’re going to try to get you to do the training circus act. And the most amazing thing about is, odds are you will be able to easily smoke most of their trainers.

I repeat, you won’t have to join a circus to see the world. Others will tell you that you will, but the same people would tell you that you have to start your career OTR. Was that the case for you, Mr Local Driver?

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  10. Dragonheart

Aug 24, 2018
    Yes. School said I need to start OTR. After a few years me and the wife want to see the United States, visit places when we have time off.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    SingingWolf Thanks this.
  11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    You have two years experience and you are going to Werner?. Any particular reason why?.

If its Florida hometime you need Abilene Motor Express runs to Florida almost daily. I usually stay out a couple months but never have trouble getting home, even if it means a 300+ mile deadhead. I have lost track of how many times I have delivered in Jacksonville and just sailed home after.

All our trucks are automatics and are well specced with inverters and fridges. The CPM rate may look low, but they have plenty of miles so the money is there. Its rare that I take home less than $2400 bi-weekly. We run all 48 states and Canada, so if you have a passport, Canada border crossings pay an extra $50 (as does NYC). Passengers (over 13 yo) and pets are OK too if you want your wife to ride with you. I think you have to be here a few months before they can though.

I doubt very much you will be with a trainer for more than a week if at all. The training isnt a fixed period anyway. Show them you can drive and you are cut loose. They dont play games where trainees get stuck on a truck because the trainer wants the money.

Call up Trish in recruiting and see what they have to say.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.