Local truck route/road map

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Nitai, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Nitai

Nitai Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I am working for a smaller local delivery carrier which delivers within a few hours radius, using a lot of back country roads and multiple stops per day. Dispatch doesn't provide route planning and I'm looking for any recommendations of a truckers map with approved back roads and bridge weight ratings to make life a little easier. Calling ahead would be futile with route planning and just looking for a map or atlas with all the roads - does anyone have suggestions?
    The area is Western PA, Northern WV and Eastern OH or all of USA

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Bunch of backroads in WV and PA, sounds like fun :oops:

4. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    Honestly getting access to something that lists surface streets is unlikely unless it's a highway or interstate. Just pay close attention for restricted road signs is the only advice I can give you.

Woodys and DTP Thank this.
  5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    What type of vehicle you re driving will have a lot to do with what kinds of restrictions you will face. A Sprinter type vs a tandem tractor with a 53' van, all the difference in the world.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you know the physical address of where you are delivering you can google earth it online.

If you wish to do things the old way, buy enough books until your entire regular territory is covered on paper.

Each state's motor carrier enforcement offices will tell you what you can where you cannot go and so on with whatever vehicle you have before you try it.

ADC - The Map People

If you have a dispatch that flat does not give a ####### about directions or any other assistance, I say GTFO and find someone to work before quick who will take the time to get that information to you. That is not a dispatch office to me when they don't do a #### thing or provide #### to you all alone with that vehicle in the way of good information. They are nothing but lazies. //rant

Im pretty sure you are not the first to deliver something somewhere with that company. Talk to the other drivers in your yard room, listen to what they may have to say in terms of how to get into a place.

Finally but not least, I understand much of the back roads I roamed in that area are restricted against 40 ton 18 wheelers now. There is a world of difference if you should take a big rig where you cannot go legally. And if you broke a bridge, or smashed a tunnel? You bought it.

bryan21384 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  7. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    EXACTLY!
    You care more than the company.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Nitai

Nitai Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Thanks for the information and good advice my friends. I was hoping for a rare find and will have to rely on piecing things together for a while. A lot of the other drivers struggle with the same problem but the few veterans are willing to help. It is a good paying first tanker job, yet if dispatch is unable to get it together in a year or so when I gain enough experience, I will find a company that cares and gives their all like I do.

Lepton1, beastr123 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    NOT.

Lepton1 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I hope you spend this time sniffing out all of your territory. Learn it well. I don't know if you can stand a year trying to run a 18 wheeler on assumptions, guesses and just plain nothing at all. It costs too much and is wasteful not to have information.

I guess I do care, but there has been times over the years that Ive gotten very specific information from dispatch to follow this highway, then the divided road then the state route then a two laner I thought I would never see from childhood again and follow a path after a left I was told specifically I will be taking her off road into the woods and the nursery is on the left at the third bush.

I will not forget that trip any time soon. Because I probably would have abandoned it at the childhood lane. You just don't take a big truck through there. But we did coming and going.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Just send ‘er.

Just look out for low bridges and bridge weight obviously.

I gotta take 90k down a 3 ton road everyday pretty much.

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.