Locked out ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cerberus, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    if turning the knob on your vent window does not work then that means it has been stripped by other drivers who have been locked out and have stripped the knob. but it does work. i helped a driver last week get into his truck by using this method last week. and i have had to use this method several times to get in. and using putty to block the hole in the bottom of the door only screws yourself as if you lock yourself out now you can not use this method to get back in your truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. YukonTrucker

YukonTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Whitehorse Yukon
    On a KW in the under the sleeper storage compartment there is usually a knob to open the sleeper door which is a good way to get in.

4. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    I've driven alot of Classic Freightliners and now drive a Western Star. The Briggs & Stratton B1 key is what I use. I have one in the switch, one under the hood, one on my key ring, and one on the ring I carry in my right pocket. Many of the keys will work on other trucks, especially when you apply slight turning force and jiggle the key. The locks are very simple waffer style pins and are easy to pick or defeat. I carry a lockout kit, but have just as good luck by picking the lock.
    Even the double sided key lock on the Columbia can be picked without much effort. I heard a guy on the radio calling for someone who could help a driver who lost his keys, they got into the truck but couldn't find a key thet would start the truck, I picked the switch on that Peterbilt in about 10 seconds.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

How many turns did you have to make to turn the knob, the vent window opens on FLD, but you can't get it to work on a Columbia, not sure about a Century. They fixed it on the Columbia.

You plug the holes so someone else can't get in so easily on a Columbia, it's not goofing yourself up, you can get a key made at Wal-Marts during the day at the automotive counter, Dodge pickup key blank for the Columbia, they have the older one sided key too but that is a bit more difficult. I try to get more keys from wherever, and keep 1 somewhere on the truck that I can get to it in an emergency..

I know how quickly someone can get into a truck, so if I'm sleeping somewhere that I don't trust the area, I belt the doors shut with the seat belts, it takes 2 minutes.

I

6. abjz71

abjz71 Light Load Member

May 29, 2008
    whichita ks
    i find that two flat blade screwdrivers work better on the triangle vent windows on the frieghtliners you just turn the window out the wrong way i had a codriver for a while that managed to lock all the keys in the truck about once a week only takes me about 30 seconds to spin the window

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Which Freightliners? FLDs and Classics are loose fitting around the doors and windows, Columbias are pretty tight. Century Class should be similar to Columbia. They changed things to make it harder to break in, not a good reputation to have it that easy to get into a locked vehicle. The hole in the bottom of the door is not going to do any damage to anything and is just as quick as spinning the window, plus, you are standing on the ground when doing it. A slim Jim up the jamb will open it too, I'm told, while leaving it locked, even putty in the hole won't stop that.

8. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    now ron you been around long enough to know the saying......
    locks only keep honest men honest. a thief will get in if they really want to.

9. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Heh, exactly.
    I used to laugh at the Seinfeld show with all the deadbolts on his door and Kramer still got in.

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  10. abjz71

abjz71 Light Load Member

May 29, 2008
    whichita ks
    no it was a columbia and no damage you push the flat edge back into the truck instead of out you use two flat blade screwdrivers to push the bar back and the glass in while standing on the running board

11. Samantha82580

Samantha82580 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Ok so Im interested about the seatbelt deal. How do you lock the seatbelt into place so it won't extend any farther? Or is it just a matter that if the doors get opened, the seatbelt won't allow enough room for an intruder to get through the door?

Also whoever said the spare on the belt is a great idea for belt wearers!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.