Log book question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GLL, Sep 23, 2017.

1. GLL

GLL Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2017
    let's say a driver starts driving at 9 pm and drives into the next day till 2 am...... how would miles be calculated for the first log? Since he didn't stop at 12 to see where he is.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Well if you were driving 65 mph from 2100 to 0000 that would be 65× 3 = 195 miles.
    You could also get a little digital recorder and at midnight record the exact mileage.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    that's ok, but i always calculated by at least 55 miles, as no one can do a constant 55, let alone a constant 65. (in fact so many years ago, a company i had worked for, recommended the 55 mph, and i kept doing it that way)

so for me it would have been, 55 x's 3 = 165 miles.

and yes, i have a mini recorder myself and say into it the state line and miles. been doing that forever. even though i have a regular route, regular miles, sometimes i have to take a detour and go thru some small towns, then to the state line, or i have to return to a stop for a pick up, i couldn't take earlier.

5. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I always set trip meter or write down mileage at start then at midnight.

Elogs will take care of it for you.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  6. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Or, take your overall miles for the 5 hours and divide them evenly for time driven.... so if you drove 300 miles, 180 before midnight, 120 after

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Or a pen & paper. Or take the miles for that leg and average speed for that leg and separate the miles out based upon time before/after midnight. Close is really all that matters in that regard, as long as all of your miles are accounted for.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  8. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Yep , back when I was on paper I would just write down the last 4 digits of my odometer on the inside cover of my book on a POST IT at the beginning of my shift then just average my speed and miles out.

I started doing it that way because I could hardly remember to get my midnight mileage. Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.