Log Book, Two Loads on Same Day, Separate Shifts????Help!

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Iron Horseman, Apr 22, 2017.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yes, it is legal. Your log sheet needs only to cover a 24-hr period that need not start at midnight. I just wrote in noon to noon back when I drove gasoline at night.

For a different carrier, I still drove at night but they wanted a midnight to midnight log. So I would write in my tractor, trailer, and BOL numbers at midnight, go home at 4am, come back in at 4pm, and write in the new tractor, trailer, and BOL numbers.

I don't know what his problem is either. It all sounds kinda troll-ish, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because I have time on my hands......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

I thought it was midnight to midnight... either way you still have to use two seperate logs for each shift, so i dont see the advantage.

4. Iron Horseman

Iron Horseman Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Crowley, Tx
    No trollin, i just didnt know, never ran into this before, and first real time using paper want to do it right.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  5. Blackshack46

I fail to see the legality of it. How do you log noon to noon on one log book page when its across two days? You can cross out words in the logbook, but you'll never be able to say the calendar day in the book ........ oh man, its so confusing i cant even comprehend a literate response to this.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've done that many times;
    Put the trailer number 1234 then add the next trailer number this way; 1234/5678 and same with the BOL.
    Do the same with the tractor if you change tractors. You're in tractor number 1008 then change to tractor 2489, so the log now shows tractor numbers 1008/2489

7. homeskillet

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    When I was working 4pm to 4am on a noon to noon log, the shift was all on one page, but each log page covered two calendar days.

Only one place I ever worked was okay with that. Everyone else wanted midnight to midnight.

Sorry about the troll thing, OP. I understand your situation now.

Iron Horseman Thanks this.
  8. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Thank you!

There's that huge ####ing space at the bottom! Write something there! - a location, agenda, trailer number.... Jeezus.... don't make it harder than it has to be - it's just writing down what you were doing, when and why.

9. homeskillet

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    It's all good, Blackshack.

You did a good job clueing in the OP.

I did my log that way, it worked, and I didn't get put out of service. Of course, this was back in the late 1990s before trucking really started to suck from a stupid rules and rigid enforcement standpoint.

Blackshack46 and Iron Horseman Thank this.
  10. Iron Horseman

Iron Horseman Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Crowley, Tx
    Black
    I was still on the tit in 90. Sorry man.

11. Blackshack46

Its all coming together now. Lol. Dont confuse the op. His company is probably using the computer program to input paper logs. Youll cause mass hysteria trying your way on a program designed to find violations

homeskillet Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.