logbook/ weighstations/ med card

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bizrhino, Dec 11, 2018.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That's because you (and I both) live in a state that has found another way for a money grab. A Chauffeurs license is needed anytime money is made with said license. So yes not only CDL guy, but anyone that drives for part of their money. Pizza delivery, uber, even the guys that pickup specimens (blood, urine, etc.) from collection sites to deliver to labs. All have to pay that extra fee.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    I know you won't be going through NC ,but this is what they say.

You need an North Carolina CDL when you operate the following vehicles:

CLASS A – Applies only to “combination” vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with a Class A CDL (plus any appropriate endorsements) can also operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D (below)

CLASS B – Includes single or combination vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle is more than 26,000 pounds. The vehicle being pulled must not be more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with an North Carolina Class B CDL (plus appropriate endorsements) can also legally operate all vehicles in Class C or D.

4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    No.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Based on all of the conversations I have had I believe the OP will be OK driving a non-CDL CMV as long as he has a medical card and keeps a log book for this trip. The PRIMARY thing is going to make sure your tags are all right and you have all the proper permits. I'm still not convinced this vehicle is even considered a CMV, but I can't get my contacts to say for sure. This is why I say make sure your legals are all in place.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Of course it's a cmv. The only question is it a cdl required cmv.
    He already said it weighs more than 10k lbs. It is also a vehicle used in commerce. It is also (for this trip) crossing state lines.
    There is no doubt this falls under fmcsa rules. The only doubt is if pc can be used for logging. All other paperwork is required.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Don't forget the DOT number, DOT name, marked properly, etc.

company needs to have driver qualification file. No drug testing required.

8. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    This. The threshold for all the fmcsa stuff except needing a CDL and drug testing is 10k gcvwr when crossing state lines. I am in a dually pickup right. Ow working out of state with no trailer or load and I have to log etc. But as accidental trucker pointed out it isn’t quite that simple. You can’t just get a med card and a log book and take off cross country in a commercial vehicle which being over 10k makes you. You need dot numbers and company name on the door, commercial inspections on the truck and trailer, driver files, UCR, etc. There is quite a bit involved. Really the only difference between what op is wanting to do and driving a semi is CDL, drug testing, IFTA, and IRP. Everything else applies.

Driving a truck as an employee for someone who handles all this red tape is way different than just doing it on your own.

Bean Jr., ZVar and Dan.S Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I don't know. I have seen NORTH CAROLINA registered work trucks all over the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. They were either small dumps or pickups like F250 and F350s pulling backhoe trailers. No DOT numbers. I'm still trying to determine what the actual rules are in regard to interstate private not for hire work trucks under 26,001 rated weight. I don't go by "opinions".

10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I didnt know Chauffeurs licences still existed. I thought the Feds did away with Chauffeurs licence & replaced it with CDL. I had Chauffeurs licence in the 80's & into the 90's but in the early 90's I had to get a CDL. :dontknow:

Bean Jr. and Dan.S Thank this.
  11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    As far as the thread question, I say it will be "legally" considered a CMV so;
    The company, truck & driver will need to treat this as such. Everything will need to be in order just like a class 8 truck & trailer.
    Company compliance, USDOT #, MC #, IFT, etc
    Driver: Class A CDL, DOT physical, ELD, etc

Dan.S Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.