logic of wiring external speaker

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by nickajshelden, Nov 8, 2017.

1. nickajshelden

nickajshelden Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2017
    situation:
    1) jack for external speaker is on back of my cb radio, which is mounted in the dash (I cannot plug or unplug that audio wire while driving)
    2) any time there is a .25" plug plugged into that jack, the internal speaker turns off (even if the plug is not connected to anything)
    3) there is no switch controlling internal/external speaker choice.
    4) my external speakers are powered by the amp, which is integrated into the radio, which would unnecessarily drain the battery, so I have it connected to switched 12 volt.
    5) without the amp, the cb cannot drive the speakers
    6) I cannot listen to another source of music (like bluetooth or FM radio) while using the line in (AUX).
    problem:
    1) if I am listening to my music from my phone on bluetooth, I cannot monitor the CB on external speakers, and the internal is too quiet and to low quality to do the job by itself. Right now, I just use the CB and music alternately, but would like to be able to use both, through the speakers.
    2) if the vehicle is off, I can't use external speakers, and would have to reach inside the dash to disconnect the plug to use CB at all. I don't typically reach for the mic when the vehicle is off, so this is the lesser of the two problems.
    solutions:
    1) wire an additional amp to take input from the cb, give the amp a power switch and wire it onto the non-switched 12v. (best performance answer, high cost, one more object to fit in dash with a lot of extra wiring)
    2) give the radio a hard power switch and wire it to non-switched 12 volts (solves problem 2)
    3) wire the internal speaker to the external line so that the internal speaker is always on, no matter what (not very elegant, but would mean that the CB could be running with the wire plugged in. (sorta solves problem 1, solves problem 2)
    I will probably go with solution #1, but I'm wondering if any of you have ideas or thoughts on this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dirtymartini15x

Dirtymartini15x Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Why not just use an actual external speaker and mount it somewhere in the cabin?

Blaskowitz and jessejamesdallas Thank this.
  4. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    That's what I did...
    [​IMG]

Blaskowitz and Dirtymartini15x Thank this.
  5. CBSPARKY

CBSPARKY Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Whatever happened to fighting Bad Logic with Better Logic? Appears today people fight Bad Logic with Worst Logic!

Anyways, why do you even need a stereo amp in a Semi to begin with? But if you do that's your business I suppose, just be safe with it on the roads. Hearing traffic is just as vital as seeing traffic when defensively driving a Semi safely and loud music is one of many causes of Semi Wrecks as it takes the drivers focus off the road.

As for the speaker issue...

Whoever wired your External CB Speaker to the stereo and amp obviously shouldn't be installing or wiring anything at all. No amp is ever needed for such a small speaker that's already to be powered by the CB.

That's all it is... Take the External Speaker off everything and wire it ONLY to the CB!

Blaskowitz and jessejamesdallas Thank this.
  6. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Jesse, is that bearcat speaker the 15 watt or 20 watt version? Also I was wondering if they sound as good as they look? Thanks.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  7. jessejamesdallas

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    20w I think...That's a older picture tho, the speaker I have there now is a Motorola I got off eBay...The Bearcat has a good sound, but the Motorola is a bit better...Only deal with most of the Motorola speakers on ebay is you have to replace the plug. Think I payed around $20 for the Motorola off eBay a couple years ago... It's a Motorola RSN4001 13w, you can find them on eBay listed anywhere from around $20 all the way up to $100 for the same exact speaker.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  8. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Oh okay....that Motorola looks very nice too. I did come across the Bearcat 15w on ebay for under $25 including shipping, which didn't seem like a bad deal. I'm not sure if the 20w would sound any better than the 15w or not. Of course Motorola makes quality products too.

9. jessejamesdallas

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Like I said, both are good speakers, and both pretty much the same size, just on the Motorola you will need to replace the plug(which is no big deal)...The Uniden has a little higher-pitch sound to it vs. the Motorola.

10. nickajshelden

Nov 8, 2017

Too true about the worst logic thing.

The stereo amp:
    would be nice to be stereo, I just want to be able to hear it in the first place. Sure I keep it quiet, I really value being able to hear traffic, but right now, I can't hear the radio's internal speaker at all, and the external doesn't work w/o an amp (currently using the FM radio as the amp).

Many folks here are suggesting that I use a "CB" external speaker. I don't like that idea for several reasons:
    1) takes up space in the cabin, which is already a little tight, I'd rather hide everything I can in the dash.
    2) would have to be wired to power, preferably filtered. An amp would also have to wired to power, but might have filtering already included, so it could share power with the FM radio.
    3) too quiet. My experience with this vehicle and speakers are they are too quiet which leads into...
    4) some external speakers don't have a built in amp. THE OUTPUT OF THE CB IS LINE OUT, NOT SPEAKER-DRIVING CURRENT

In response to CBSPARKY about wiring the external CB Speaker to the external stereo and amp...
    The *only* amps in the vehicle are the internal amps for the FM radio and the CB radio (for the internal speaker). I tested wiring the external speakers (took the front right [typically I use the passenger seat for my base of operations]), and it was barely audible with the engine off, let alone with the engine on. The output on my CB is line out voltage, not anywhere near the current needed to drive the speakers, so yes, an amp is needed for the speakers, because the CB doesn't power it, even with everything else taken off.

11. nickajshelden

Nov 8, 2017
    in general reply:
    external speaker needs to be amped, the radio I'm using doesn't amp the output (it's about as much output as an mp3 player--plenty enough to drive headphones, but not enough to drive a speaker). (see point 5 of the situation)

I'll probably toss in an amp and put a choke filter on it's power in straight from the battery so It sounds good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.