Loner or outgoing personality. which are you?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Maj. Jackhole, Jun 15, 2018.

1. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    'You were a child prodigy and astonished your Mom with your brilliant Flood Graph (on and on).' Ok

And the Moral of the story is...'Marvin is Now a OTR Driver?'

Not following you...?

VIDEODROME and Buster Churry Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. peteseymour45

peteseymour45 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2012
    BOTH. I describe myself as an ‘introvert that likes to be around people’. And have a good amount of ‘recharge’ downtime during a trip to balance things out. That’s why I am a motorcoach driver. A perfect balance and I absolutely love it :)

Can’t imagine spending all day, everyday by myself. But that’s just me. To each, his own....

tman78 and Maj. Jackhole Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Moral of the story was that we all thought that Marvin was just like us. After they convinced Marvin and his parents that he was short bus special, Marvin's behavior changed.

tman78 and Maj. Jackhole Thank this.
  5. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Over the years I have observed similar behaviour though not to Marvins extreme. Ran across many special needs cases where I questioned whether the person was really or behaving how a special needs person was expected to behave.

6. Buster Churry

Buster Churry Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Up The Road
    What he is saying is that Nurture wins out over Nature in this case. It happens more frequently than you would think.

tman78 Thanks this.
  7. Buster Churry

Buster Churry Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Up The Road
    I know a person who had a child who was “hyperactive” (complaint from the school). They took the child for an “evaluation” with a social service agency. Which recommended inpatient treatment at a county facility. The parents we’re highly offended and walked out. They went to their doctor, who treated the kid with Ritalin. The kid became a straight A student with no “hyperactive” problems in school. That child went on to become a lawyer and is now a judge. Lots of kids are treated that way by a system that values its continued funding over the lives and futures of those that they are there to “help”.

8. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Did you ever follow up?
    Was Marvin Indeed a 'special needs' case?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    He was just fine until they convinced both he and his parents that something was wrong.

The reason why I brought that up was because it seems to me that many people are too quick to put a label on themselves. Marvin was fine. Good kid. But suddenly, when we find him (they moved him into one of the little mobile homes in the back of the schools, which we all called "Box Class",) he's licking Windows and stuff. They convinced both Marvin and his parents that he was a window licker.

All behavior is learned. All that alpha male crap, the introvert/extrovert garbage is learned. Marvin had a little tough time at the beginning of the first grade and suddenly, his entire personality changes? No way. They convinced him in his mind that he was special needs. And they have a pill for behavior. Seen them advertised on TV. Scary...

So you have people that bought into this introvert extrovert stuff. Some of us didn't. IMO, it a cap, a limiter. Why limit yourself? "I can't take having people around" vs "I can't take being alone" vs "I CAN." I can do anything I set my mind to do. I can learn anything. I can pick up a language within a week of living there. Not bragging, because anyone can do anything, better anything about themselves once they learn self discipline. Self discipline removes all of your known boundaries.

Buster Churry, Ryan423 and tman78 Thank this.
  10. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I consider myself "selectively sociable". I don't really talk to people much or do anything with people in town or from work. But get me with an urban, cycling crowd as seen on my YT videos and I'm breaking out of my shell. Of course I do have to drive 400-500 miles away and back in my personal vehicle to meet up with these crews.

That's why I'm debating my existence living in these rural areas for the past, six years. I mean, I don't seem to think that highly of small town and rural folk despite having to work alongside and do dealings with them. I get along well enough with them to where we're not clashing on a regular basis. But, I sure won't be dating anyone from the area anytime soon.

Cost of living and the star-light seem to be the only things keeping me here. But I'm essentially a self-imposed, loner out in these parts

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Honestly my largest problem being around people is continuously being asked for loans. I understand people do have situations to develop. I just don't loan money. Best way I know to end a friendship.

dwells40 and KillingTime Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.