Long Covid and Trucking

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DeanOfMac, Nov 29, 2022.

1. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    Howdy folks!

Long time, no see. On my last adventure I was back at Schneider after tending to family matters.

Somewhere along the way I ended up with COPD-like issues after having Covid. Coughed so hard one night that I had to park on the side of the road after almost passing out. I went too far over and got stuck, needing assistance. I called the sitrep in and started the process of getting help. Started coughing heavily again while the IL State Trooper was there. The trooper began the usual inspection of myself, my rig, and my logs. (I was on-duty for about 1.5 hours before the incident.) I was cleared, and did not receive any tickets. I had no diagnosis of any COPD before that.

Unfortunately Schneider didn't see it that way. The Walmart Dedicated safety officer looked at the photos and how straight I parked (although too far over in the mud) and he said "the position of your rig is what I see when people fall asleep at the wheel." ??? I figured someone sleeping would have been crooked and/or turned over/hit another vehicle. Although cleared of any wrong doing by law enforcement investigation, needless to say I was terminated for safety.

Since then I've had an official diagnosis of "very mild COPD." I take Fluticasone powder twice a day to control the symptoms. I really hope to drive again someday, but I don't have my hopes up. My pulmonologist will approve me driving so long as I keep inhaling the Fluticasone as prescribed.

The point of the story - long Covid sucks. If you've had Covid and experience more coughing than usual, go see your primary care. I likely don't have a chance to go back to Schneider, but perhaps another carrier will allow me to drive.

Take Care,

Dean

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Thousands of CDL drivers have COPD. If you can pass a new DOT physical, you can find work.
    We'll help you if you want.
    ~
    Keep your cdl, don't let it expire.

4. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    I'll definitely keep my CDL. Swift has Walmart Dedicated close to where I live. I was Walmart Dedicated for Schneider so I'm familiar with the work.

I'm looking for regional or dedicated near the Western IL or Iowa area.

Thanks!

5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Vitamin D-3 10,000 IU’s
    Selenium
    Zinc
    Vitamin K
    Vitamin E
    Magnesium
    Take daily and everyday allow it to build up in your system. If you’re overweight, get the weight off. Exercise, You won’t have issues with Covid again.

mustang190, Bean Jr., KB3MMX and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Add;
    Quercetin,
    Vitamin C to the list.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which town or city are you closest to?

8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    next time just stop in the right lane with flashers on like a chicagoland driver

9. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    I'm in Macomb, IL. We call it Forgottonia. I'm near the Quad Cities, Springfield IL, Peoria IL, a few hours South of Chicago.

pumpkinishere and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    US Express
    Hiring Macomb, IL drivers
    CDL-A Dedicated Truck Drivers: Home Weekly
    • GI Bill® Apprenticeship Program. Military Veterans can earn up to $85,000/yr. Don't qualify for the GI Bill®? Ask about our Advanced Rate of Pay Program for Veterans.
    If this is driver unload, probably wouldn't be a good idea with COPD.
    Maybe US Express has some "no-touch" freight accounts.

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.