Long Hood Peterbilt 359/379/389 and Kenworth W900

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by truckingmechanic, May 3, 2016.

1. truckingmechanic

truckingmechanic Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    These trucks seem to have a long hood but what I am wondering is if they are harder to drive.They look pretty nice especially when chromed up and I've also heard that they ride really nice and are pretty comfortable. So the two things I'm wondering is are they much harder to drive than other trucks? And would it be worth it to buy one of these long hood trucks?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UFO

UFO Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2006
    lebanon in
    if you are asking, probably not. better ride yes. much longer turning radius and more difficult in tight backing situations and narrow streets. not a step to a stepper, but not a good idea for an inexperienced driver. werner used to do long hood freightliners and a few petes years ago back when they were a quality company. that idea pretty much went away when they became a c.d.l. mill and started letting anyone with a pulse drive a truck. busted hoods and property damage. cut your teeth and move up as you master the trade and your skill level increases. of course all of this is my opinion, but, if you are asking this, should you even consider buying?

4. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Line of sight on a big hooded truck is not as good as a sloped hood. It just takes some getting used to

5. truckingmechanic

truckingmechanic Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Im just wondering for future consideration of buying a truck

UFO Thanks this.
  6. wstar2003

wstar2003 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2013
    You just get used to it over time. They don't maneuver like a set back axle short wheelbase but I never left without freight because of having one either.

Oxbow, swaggerjacker and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
  8. WHY NOT

WHY NOT Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I haven't driven any of them, but sure would like to. I know the viability on them isn't near as good. But how sharp a truck turns is all about the wheel cut it has and wheel base. I know a W9 doesn't have very good wheel cut because the steering box is in the way. Not sure about the wheel cut on the petes compared to them.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It just takes getting used to. That long hood will naturally force your eyes to look way down the road ahead, but you can't see right in front of the hood when stopped either. Have to always be watching your surroundings. Long hood rides much nicer. When I first started driving a w9 I ran over plenty of curbs, bent the bumper a few times. But I got to the point I could look at any area and know how I would put that truck where it had to go.

swaggerjacker Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    if you deliver a lot of grocery warehouses and/or park in truck stops for most of your breaks, do yourself a favor and stay away from the hoods. You can not rent a hood if you wanted to (to try out). Consider why that is.

11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the tag @TripleSix

I agree with what most others have said. Before I got this 359 (long hood 253 wb), I drove a T600 and then a T800 (both with 233-ish wheelbase) so I was accustomed to some tight turning trucks. We pull 53 ft double drops so the axles are a long way back there. I won't deny I was a little concerned myself so the first thing I did install bumper guides and put a mirror on the RF corner. That mirror looks like the devil but it's pretty trick for being able to use every inch of room available.

Someone mentioned you can't see in front of the hood. That's true you do need to be careful at fuel islands and it doesn't hurt to stop father back from the cross walks. Also you can't see the LF corner as well because the air cleaner is in the way.

As for visiblity, that is a different thing than turning radius. I have also driven a couple of T2000 KW's and I feel I have a better view of my surroundings in the 359 becasue of the narrow cab but the T600/T800/T660's are good too.

There was some debate around our shop about whether I'd be able to deliver to all the same tight consignees that I used to. So far in 3 years of driving this Pete there isn't a single delivery that I haven't been able to make. I think the answer is to take more or the oncoming lane than you used to. Does it turn as sharp as a 233" T8? I don't know but my front bumper is still crinkle free (knock wood).

I think a careful driver in a set back axle will be a careful driver in a hood.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.