Long Hood Peterbilt 359/379/389 and Kenworth W900

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by truckingmechanic, May 3, 2016.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I'm gonna have to take mine (classic xl) out behind the barn and shoot it to get it to die..

rank Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I was always a little annoyed at Pete drivers. I drove R model and CH model Mack daycabs, and was always getting my doors blown off by Pete 379s. On top of that, I had a gas hauling job driving a Pete 385, and as we all know the fit and finish of a fleet 385 doesn't really live up to the Peterbilt legacy.

Then I got a job hauling gas and diesel with Pilot in one of their big yellow 379 daycabs. Nice interior, maneuvered like a dream. I felt like a real trucker. I could see for miles up over that big long hood.

So on one of my first loads I'm headed west on I-94 and I pull left to pass someone, and then I come up on someone else and pass them, and so on twice more. I'm thinking, "Why is everyone just goofballing along today? I got tanks to fill today,people!"
    Then I look down at the speedo and I'm doing 85.....

Never even knew it. And I realized that probably most of the guys blowing my doors off were just drivin' that big sofa down the road and diggin' the ride.

It made me a 379 believer! I'd jump at the chance to drive one again!

Al. Roper and ‘Olhand Thank this.
  4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I love me a good Classic flat top. Don't see many on the road, and even less of them done up nice. The XL would make a fantastic and cheap/reliable van puller.

I'd drive something like this in a heartbeat (assuming it's got a yellow motor under the hood):

[​IMG]

Al. Roper, wore out and rank Thank this.
  5. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    Other than the horrible ergonomics, I've always been a fan of the Western Star 4900 lowmax...

rank Thanks this.
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Yes they do handle well.

7. J harr

J harr Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2017
    So let's say I decided to go with the freightliner classic since I am just starting out. What are some things I need to look for in buying my first truck. What motor, what trans, any certian flaws I need to look for. Any help is greatly appreciated

8. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Just starting out owning your own truck or driving it? If the former, plenty of guys here have tons of advice and I'll tag them in the post, but if you are just starting out driving, you should get some wheel time in a company truck before committing to owning your own business.

There is a whole lot more to being an O/O than just driving the truck.

Coolbreezin and dngrous_dime Thank this.
  9. J harr

J harr Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2017
    I have been driving for a year now. Want to get a truck of my own and drive for myself. I don't know much about running a business but my old trainer has his own truck and I am sure he wold help me out with any questions I have about a business.

10. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    @Hurst is probably the guy best able to tell you about starting from the ground up. It takes a LOT of work to get a truck off the ground and even more work to get it making money enough to keep you in the black.

What kind of freight contracts do you have lined up? Do you have a reliable mechanic that can do work for you? Have you looked into insurance requirements/costs, permits, incorporation requirements/costs yet?

Hurst and Winnyf1 Thank this.
  11. J harr

J harr Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2017

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.