Long Island truck stop

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Winger, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Winger

Winger Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Fl
    I'm heading to the eastern part of Long Island and by the time I get there and unload I will be out of hous. Is there any truck stops to camp out for the night?
    i also have a pickup in Brooklyn the next day at 4C of off Linden Blvd.
    This is one runn I'm not looking forward toooooo.

thanks for any help.
    Winger

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. southpaw2153

southpaw2153 Light Load Member

May 10, 2013
    It is going to be very hard to find a place to park your truck on LI. There are zero truck stops that I know of on LI, I used to live there for 35 years. Where on the east end of LI will you be delivering? There is a Wal-Mart in Riverhead that you might be able to park at.

One thing for sure, don't idle your truck on LI. The cops will definitely ticket you and the fine is NOT small. I don't envy you.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. Winger

Winger Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Fl
    My truck has a APU unit so I don't need to idle.
    I have to deliver to West Hampton & Watermill.
    I haul plants out of Florida.

Thanks

5. southpaw2153

southpaw2153 Light Load Member

May 10, 2013
    If you are going to be coming back west on Rte 27 (or Sunrise Hwy as it is called), I believe there is a small rest area on the right hand side of the hwy where DOT usually does inspections. Unless there are other trucks parked (it is a relatively small rest area) you should be able to spend the night no problem.

There are a couple of rest areas on the Long Island Expressway but it depends on what time of day you are going to hit them. But, you said you will be out of hours so I dont think you would have time to get to those anyway. They are over 20 miles, at least, from Watermill/Westhampton.

I will tell you one thing; don't park on the shoulder of a service road/on ramp. You will definitely be told to move by a cop and probably fined, as well. Look up that Wal-mart on your computer. It is north of where you are delivering but not too far and you will be right near the expressway to get started in the morning. Best of luck to ya. LI is probably the most trucker unfriendly place in the country. :biggrin_25521:

6. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    Call the receivers. I deliver nursery up there and usually they will let you park there.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I don't think there is any trk stops even near Long Island.Besides considering the time,you're not going to find any parking spots.You should ask the receiver if you can stay there.

8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Didn't there used to be one off the 495?

9. sharecropper

sharecropper Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville NC
    You should be able to park at Wal-Mart off the LIE I did.

10. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    where is long island, I don't see it in my atlas :)

RedForeman Thanks this.
  11. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Still there just small--unfortunately sept 11th was hard on NYC--used to be able to park at the Deli @JFK--big stagin area but all closed due to security--If coming back to brooklyn on 27 like earlier mentioned--there is a Home Depot--with movieplex out front on SS of Highway the DOT uses during day--lots of parking--Also 4c area is a little tacky but have spent the night on the street there many times--ur gonna love backin in the buildin if you get one of those doors--LOL.....
    Also if you run back in 27 all the way almost to kennedy and then go South on rockaway Blvd--there is a Wal mart and a few other shopping ctrs w/truks in them just past the runways
    Course it depends where on island u r dorpping the further east u go the quieter it gets--so might be able to hang there.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.