Long Island truck stop

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Winger, Jun 18, 2013.

1. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drozzer69

drozzer69 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Long Island does not have ANY truck stops. The only one that was there around exit 57/58 or so, closed before I started driving a car. They eventually bulldozed it to the ground and built a hotel on the grounds. I grew up and lived there for 29 years. I don't miss the traffic and lack of parking. There is still a rest area on 495 near exit 52 (Commack) but they also put in a DOT scale on the eastbound side right before exit 49 for route 110. Good times.

4. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Long Island TS closed along time ago--I think everyone(includin me)was referring to the small rest are on 495

5. Winger

Winger Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Fl
    Thanks for all the info.

i wound up parking on the side of the road in a dirt area along side of a nature trail. Once you exit 63s off of Surnrise Hwy it is right there. When I shut down @7:30 I was the only one there. At 6:00 when I left there was 4 other truck parked.
    you can't believe the amount of traffic that I was in.
    i took the outer bridge crossing over to the Staten Island Expway (all traffic ) to the Verrazano Bridge which wasn't so bad. I got on the BQE and that was just a all traffic all the way to the Expressway (495).
    the BQE had some construction where the lanes curve and there only 10' wide. No room for error.
    There are a lot of bridges stating 12'2" and to exit at Atlantic Ave, but, if you stay in the middle lane you will be ok.

My way back I took Highway 27 which is Sunrise Hwy. When you get into Rockville Center there is another low bridge 12'2" as long as you stay in the middle lane you will be ok. From there on got on the Conduct and I think there was another low bridge. Just stay in the middle lane and you will be ok.

After I picked up at 4C's I headed out on Linden Blvd and turned onto Pennsylvania Ave and what do ya know another 12'2" bridge, turned onto Atlantic Ave and took that all the way to the BQE and head on out of town only to sit in more traffic.

I unloaded at a Walmart Dc @7 toady in MacClenny Fl and brought my truck back to the yard and was home in Orlando @13:30. I logged 2800

thank god for paper logs.

i did found a truck wash place in Farmingdale on Rt110 called Tri City Truck Wash.
    They charge me $75 to wash out all the dirt out off the trailer.

With all the extra pay I get for a runn like this its not worth it with all the traffic and time that I put into a run like this.
    It was a very stressful 5 days. Brooklyn isn't designed for an over the road truck.
    to many had turns with pole right at the edge of the corner and having to turn into on coming traffic.

Attached Files:

6. ‘Olhand

Jan 18, 2011
    Well done--always a fun trip---its not as bad as it seems few more rounds up there--you might even get to enjoy it--really it can happen--well course Im little nutz--but been runnin there since 74--and for what it is worth born an raised in Union Park--when it still WAS 20 miles outta Orlando--LOL.......
    Next time well tell ya how to get outta there from 4c w/out payin any TOLLS!

7. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I remember when a $200 advance would get you into Hunts Point over the GW, cover the lumper fee, the meat market entrance fee and you still had enough left to get pizza and soda at the pizza joint inside the market.

losttrucker Thanks this.
  8. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Union park!!! Shoot, Bithlo and Winter Garden are part of Orlando now. Where I live on Alafaya, it was nothing but woods and swamps, now there's 15,000 houses.

I used to go to Center Moriches all Nursery season long. There is parking on Long Island, but no one wants to share their spot. OP, if you went in during daylight, you made the mistake of using the bottom bridges. Sure it's cheaper, but during daylight GWB to the Throgs Neck is the way to go. You'll save time and aggravation. If you don't have XM, 1010 am has the best traffic reports every 10 minutes.

9. speedracer 1963

speedracer 1963 Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2008
    illinois
    with bloomberg in charge of long island and NYC :wave: PFJ, t/a petro and any other have given up hopes by now. your on your own.

10. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I see that place as it was 25 years ago. It still was nasty. Food was good. Have to smile.

11. ‘Olhand

Jan 18, 2011
    LOL Forty Cal--Why I DONT LIVE THERE ANYMORE!---My kid sister lives offa McColluch--Mom still talk about how she hated to go visit her at night--cause drivin out University when it was a 2 lane thru the swamp with deep ditches on both sides!
    I normally tell people Im from Orlando BEFORE THE 4 FINGERED RAT SHOWED UP!
    And its funny loaded grapefruit twicw this year in Winter Garden few of us shootin the ####--and rest of the drivers were lookin at us and dock foreman like we were nutz--really seperates the locals!
    and as far as Im concerned when the built the E/W past 50 and tore down the ABC Truck Stop--that was the final straw!

Ky Flash Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.