Long time lurker looking for new job

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by southtruck, Nov 27, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

That doesn't mean jump off a mountain because you want to learn to fly. Motivation is one thing, but overcoming a fraudulant 1099 is not a matter of having the right attitude. They steal the money you are owed and disappear in many cases.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Just talked to a Romanian driver a few days ago. He works for a company called TVA out of Chicago.

He says they let him work 2 months and then take 2 weeks off. He lives in NYC now, his girlfriend is a NYC cop, also Romanian.

They use the two weeks to go visit their families in a Romanian section in South Florida. Dania Beach near Ft Lauderdale.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  4. southtruck

southtruck Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Flaw dah
    I would consider a 1099 if and only if they had some verifiable track record. Not to worry. I'm not new to being a 1099. I had plenty of side hustles. It just never was a main hustle. I would require THEM to give ME references. But I am.still leaning to large carriers due to terminal locations.

5. southtruck

Sep 14, 2014
    Flaw dah
    I'll check em out. Had a busy day today so will research tomorrow.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Read the 1099 horror stories on here, ESPECIALLY in the Chicago area. You seem to be determined to work for one. You were warned.

7. southtruck

Sep 14, 2014
    Flaw dah
    I am aware of the horror stories out of Chicago and the Eastern Block owned fly by nights. I'm Thank you for looking out for me. But As I have said I am leaning towards W2 megas because of the terminals. But If the right 1099 comes along (Not Chicago I am aware) Then would consider it. Hell, I might save my pennies and and start my own 1099 after I get the jist of it. 1099 is not off the table, It will just be very difficult to fool me. And take a miraculous amount of money to convince me. I'm not a noob Driver, Just new to Interstate. And I talk to O/O's and Fleece Operator's and Mega Drivers. I'm not just here and I am not even making a decision until April.

Calm down
    I learn by asking questions

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia

"Some people gladly go....where even angels fear to tread" :confused:

--Lual

9. southtruck

Sep 14, 2014
    Flaw dah
    I am leaning towards company driver. This is due to terminal locations and verified structured pay. I took a look at the above company. Not bad for a 1099 but the pay still seems low. I got the feeling the "employees" ion the video were actors. Just gave off that vibe. Google reviews was all 5 stars. another red flag. Plus one terminal. slowly sinking down the list.

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Just be aware that if you do relocate to CA you should by rights change your CDL over to CA license not sure what the penalty is if they pull you over and find out you don't actually reside in FL anymore, I just remember one of the drivers that was at LW's got caught out he was based in CA but his licence said he was in Utah they made him have to go and do a re-test all over again and get his CA issued CDL it just depends on what officer you get that pulls you over, or if you can drive without ever getting stopped all the better.

southtruck Thanks this.
  11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    This should tell you all you need to know

southtruck Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.