Looking at my 1st truck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by HillbillyDeluxeTruck, Mar 26, 2017.

1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    So for the last 2 1/2yrs, Ive been running hotshot with an 08 F350 c&c. Long story short, I decided end of last year I was tired of being in a crew cab truck otr. So I took some time and went back into excavation/construction until I figured out my next step.

So I was offered a trade for my Harley that I have for sale on a '00 Freightliner Century. The down side is it was jack knifed recently and suffered damage to the sleeper. Insurance co decided to total it instead of fix it. So he is buying it back. While I havent seen it in person, the damage doesnt look too too bad, but what all should I be looking for? And why did the insurance co decide to total it? Yes the truck will have a salvage title.

The truck has 1.1 million on it, current owner has had it for 4yrs and about 200k mi. Lots of local work hauling equipment and a belly dump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Ouch, looks expensive. I don't really know though.

4. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Depends on price.. To be honest i wouldn't buy this.. I would also get it checked for Frame damage.. You can probaly get a new sleeper cab for around 12-15k

5. TampaTony

TampaTony Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2015
    If the price is right then buy it. You can fix the sleeper your self or get a used one at a junk yard.

6. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Well considering I wont have any cash outlay for the truck because Id be trading off a Harley on it, Im okay with putting out some $ to repair it as long as its making me money.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    How much is the harley worth?

8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Tops probably 8 grand. Ive owned it 4yrs. I dont ride much any more so I through it up for sale or trade.

9. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would pass.

A million miles on it, damage to it and possibly in need of other internal repairs, and a salvage title, forget it. I would look for a truck that is about $30k, put aside about $1000 to check it out and have it checked right. There are a lot of trucks floating out there that need owners, actually a LOT.

By the way, I would have junked that if I owned it, maybe get more than $8k out of it but it really needs to be off the road.

10. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Im looking at a truck worth less than 10k, and you suggest I buy a 30k dollar truck? I will not go into debt to buy a truck.

The engine is a Detroit, was inframed at 850k (I forgot to put that in the 1st post). Everything else seems to be decnt and the truck was doing 300mi a day locally before it was wrecked.

11. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I get that but here is the thing, even if it has had an inframe, doesn't mean that it won't need something major soon which will cost more than the truck.

I look at things a bit different, I look at this as a tool to make money, it takes more than a cheap truck to make money consistently, and I don't want to see you fail when you asked advice.

See trading for a beat up truck that needs about 8k worth of body work isn't really good, you can end up getting dinged for some stupid body issue by an idiot cop, which will cost you money to fight, then you have the issue of hidden damage and maybe that includes engine damage that could come out a few months down the road, putting you possibly stuck on the side of the road, or worse out of the money you put in.

Then you have the salvage title issue, some insurance companies will not insure a truck that has a salvage title, and if they do, they will reject claims you make against damage to the truck.

See what I'm getting at?

Ougigoug, Toomanybikes and Dharok Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.