Looking at O/O thinking of joining Mercer

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by shamilton1021, Jul 20, 2017.

1. shamilton1021

shamilton1021 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Hi, Everyone. I am looking for some information from Mercer drivers. I am trying to help my father get into a truck. We are obviously looking at getting on with a company like Mercer when we do this.

He is a company driver right now only making .44cpm and nowhere near the miles he used to be getting.

He is tired of the crap and has always wanted to be his own boss.

We have had many drivers suggest getting started with Mercer. It looks like a great company that works well for its drivers and is a great place to work.

I am looking to speak with or talk to Van drivers. I am trying to get some numbers together to do a cost analysis before we jump into everything.

We know Mercer is a heavily Flat bed company. His only reservation is with heavy tarping since he is older
    But he is open to none tarp possibly.

I would love some advice from others on what cost I should be calculating and what to expect working with mercer.

I know each person has a different experience and what they can do as far as understanding the system and lanes. I would help in this aspect and basically load plan, negotiate, ect for him to ensure we are getting everything done right.

I would appreciate any advice and if I forgot anything please let me know. The mercer community looks like I friendly one and I look forward to speaking with you all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Try posting in the Mercer section you may have better luck getting your answer.

fargonaz and shamilton1021 Thank this.
  4. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    I don't know anything about Mercer, but as to tarping....When you have a load that needs to be tarped, you just get the loader to use the forklift to place your tarps on top of the load. Then, all you gotta do is spread them out. Same thing after you've pulled them off the load, after you've rolled them up, get the fork lift driver to place them back on the deck.

shamilton1021 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Where does he live?

shamilton1021 Thanks this.
  6. shamilton1021

Jul 18, 2017
    we live in kentucky

7. shamilton1021

Jul 18, 2017
    Is this common practice?

8. shamilton1021

Jul 18, 2017
    I did cross post it

9. shamilton1021

Jul 18, 2017
    He is 59 with some joint issues. Do how hard is it on the body when it comes to tarping

10. Jimmy Hoffa

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    I'm 62, was a roofer for 35 year's before I started driving truck. It hasn't been an issue with me.

TripleSix and shamilton1021 Thank this.
  11. Jimmy Hoffa

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    Yes....I've never had a loader complain, most of the time they volunteer before I ask them.

shamilton1021 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.