Looking for a better local job.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mars Ultor, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Mars Ultor

Mars Ultor Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Hi guys, I made the change from OTR to local at the end of last year. Currently working for CEMEX, but I'm looking to do better than $18 an hour.

What type of home daily driving positions pay the best in yalls experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Any LTL freight company. FedEx Freight, Old Dominion, XPO, ABF, UPS, Estes, Saia.

4. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Ltl from my experience is where the money is. Ive worked for FedEx Freight for 7 years. The last 3 as a road driver and should be $90-100,000 this year. The city guys doing p&d are $60-70,000 at $28.xx a hour overtime after 8 hours.

JReding, ColoradoLinehaul, jmz and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    If you don't mind physical labor foodservice is always high paying and always looking for drivers.

Slim51, Mike2633, road_runner and 3 others Thank this.
  6. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    The top 5 Cryogenic companies (Praxair, Air Liqude/Airgas, Air Products, Messer Gas, and Matheson Tri Gas) do pay well if you can put up with there rules and driver facing cameras at all except Air Products. And also as stated most LTL companies. Also most private chemical distribution companies have great local pay. And some private welding companies pay well for cylinder delivery drivers.

But over all it depends on where you live. A former coworker told me he had a chance to get on at the NYC sanitation dept. But turned it down to move down south. And after getting fired for something so petty. He wishes he would have took the union sanitation job in NYC.

My point is a company could have locations in multiple cities. But drivers in Cleveland might make 72k p/yr. And drivers in Chicago might make 100k p/yr. Larger cities have a bigger customer base. And also would have a higher cost of living. So the company probably would pay more. A driving job paying 100k p/yr in Tallahassee, Fl would be great cause cost of living is low there. Compared to a 70k p/yr driving job in Houston. Witch isn't much for a single person with the cost of living there.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. Mars Ultor

Jan 24, 2019
    Thanks for the input. So far I have applied at OD, SAIA, and XPO. Neither Fedex nor UPS is currently hiring drivers in my area which id just north of Tampa Florida.

BTW I am only looking for home daily positions, though I do appreciate the OTR reccos.

8. Mars Ultor

Jan 24, 2019
    I don't mind physical labor. Do you know of any food service companies near Tampa?

9. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
  10. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    You could try Sysco there website says help needed urgently.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.