Looking for a company that does cdl training

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Leo_The_Lion, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Leo_The_Lion

Leo_The_Lion Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I am 21 and I am thinking of getting into the trucking business, I reside in California(SoCal). I am looking for a company that would train me and the work preferably something local/regional but if otr is necessary that's fine as well. I've had my drivers license for 3 years now and no points. Thank you for any advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You probably are about 30 years too late. Trucking schools is where it's at now. You will be getting a CDL Permit from your state. And attend school. When school is completed they send you and everyone else with the truck to be tested for your CDL among other tests. When it's all done and you have your new CDL you will now confront the issue of finding a company that will take you on. Usually one of the bottom feeding megas.

You could work around the problem running a dump, ready mix or farm tomato doubles in season for your area. It's not OTR but it's still trucking. Eventually you will have the experience, time in and no preventables hopefully and no indicents. that is when you discover you can by two years hire on with anyone anywhere. Almost. You wont be hauling gasoline tankers until 25, it's not personal but more of a insurance thing etc. By the time you hit 25 in trucking your little boy games at 21 will go away and you will be on your way to being a veteran trucker who have alot of things to offer a prospective employer after your 4th year wiithout trouble.

See where Im going with this? The initinal debt of paying 4000 dollars or whatever to the school to get your CDL and training (Which by the way never stops, but just getting started on the big road after you get out. Is a investment into your future earnings which will be anything from 20K all the way to 50K gross minus truckstop expenses etc. Paying the 4 grand is and should be rather easy. Done in 6 months. Espeically if you got it from Dear Uncle Sam as a student loan which MUST and WILL be paid back either while you are a productive trucker or dead from your estate in probate. It will be paid. You will not get refunds, social security and other monies due you until SL is paid back in full.

Its a very good industry to be in if you have the right mindset and are physically fit for that kind of lifestyle. It's not something you can put in your 30 hours a work week and go home at 4PM, you are not done. Usually you have a night time driving coming up to stay on your schedule. Which usually consists of prior to sunrise deliveries so that the Nation can conduct it's work on the goods and foods you just delivered.

Good luck!

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trucking company schools that hire 21 yr. old students from California:
    Contract Freighters Inc. - www.cfidrive.com
    Jim Palmer Trucking - nicest trucks on the road.
    Prime Inc.
    Swift Transportation
    Meals & lodging provided for all the above except Swift. Swift provides lodging but no meals.
    You will need "original birth certificate" and "original social security card - not laminated".
    Transportation from your home to the school is provided; bus, Amtrak, rental car, or whatever it takes.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Leo_The_Lion Thanks this.
  5. Leo_The_Lion

Apr 19, 2017
    Thank you for the information, I will do deeper research.

6. Leo_The_Lion

Apr 19, 2017
    So by student do you mean that I have to have my cdl already before applying? I appreciate the information I'm going to investigate those companies right now. Thank you

BigNorm4Life Thanks this.
  7. AtticusRoad

AtticusRoad Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Indiana
    Just google "crappy trucking companies"... That should do it.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't need a cdl to apply. You'll get your cdl when you graduate.
    Apply to all of them at the same time if you want to. Jim Palmer takes more time to process the application, but worth the wait.
    Contract Freighters is dry van & dry van is easy trucking.

9. Leo_The_Lion

Apr 19, 2017
    Oh ok I see, that sounds good. Out of all those who do you think would be the best choice?

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Personally, I like Jim Palmer Trucking best.
    2nd, I'd probably go with Contract Freighters.
    Prime 3rd choice.

11. knyucklehead

knyucklehead Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Long Beach
    There's a free training program through Long Beach City College, which also helps with job placement. It's geared towards port work. I went through it two years ago, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.