Looking for a decent school to start my career otr.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by OntoExplorationz, Jun 8, 2022.

1. OntoExplorationz

OntoExplorationz Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2022
    Hello, I am 27 years old located in Pittsburgh, PA. I have been working as an equipment operator for most of my years but as of now I am looking to get into a new career. I am stuck on where I should go to begin my training. I have no experience driving trucks so I am going into this completely green.

What is a decent school that I can start out with that will train me while I obtain my CDL?
    I have heard some bad stories about swift and Driver solutions. I spoke with Driver Solutions they want me to drive down to North Carolina and start their training program. I am hesitant on this due to the fact I have heard some pretty bad experiences with the schooling as well as PAM

I am hoping to be able to drive solo when I am finished with training. Team driving is fine however my main priority is the quality of the school.

There is a local campus that offers 2 separate classes. total of $6,000 for 4 weeks. The issue with this is I cannot attend the classes when I work 11-12 hours a day which is why I am looking to transition right into a company that provides training and an opportunity to get on the road when completed.

All my driving, accident and background records are spot clean.

If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it, thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Training Provider Registry
    This is the list of companies authorized by the FMCSA to provide cdl training.
    Can also attend a trucking company cdl training.
    ~
    Community college cdl programs are highly recommeded. Most companies hire from those.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roehl Transport has cdl school and pays the students $616.00 weekly while attending their cdl school.
    My neighbor went through that program and said it's the real deal.
    If you go with Roehl, I recommend going with the refrigerated division.
    CDL Training (Paid) & Truck Driving Schools | Roehl.Jobs
    This website doesn't show the $616.00 weekly pay, it shows less. But the $616.00 is accurate.
    [​IMG]

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This one is dry van.
    CDL-A School | Millis Transfer
    6 Convenient School Locations:
    • Hamilton, Ohio
    • Cartersville, Georgia
    • Richfield, Wisconsin
    • Burleson, Texas
    • Eden, North Carolina
    • Carlisle, Pennsylvania

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wilson Logistics
    This is a refrigerated outfit and cdl school is in Springfield, Missouri
    upload_2022-6-8_14-31-12.jpeg

8. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Leonard's Express is in Farmington, NY which isn't too far from you. They're partnered with a school on their property. Check them out.

Canandaigua Driving School on Collett rd

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The better approach is to find the company you want to work for AND THEN decide about CDL school. You wouldn't plan a wedding and then only after you have got all of those details worked out, and paid for, start looking for a wife. Make decisions for the long-term and work out the short term details as you go. IMO.

The CDL school just teaches you to pass the state exam. The real training comes from the trainer at your first employer. Decide what type of freight you want to pull, pull dry van if you don't have a string preference. Decide how often you must be home, how long you need to be home when you are home. Decide which of those is more important if you can't get both the way you want. Some trucking companies ave theor own CDL school or they only hire from certain CDL schools. Half of trucking companies that hire newbies have Tuition Reimbursement that will repay your CDL loan, if you need one. BTW, if you have the cash for school but your employer pays Tuition Reimbursement, take the student loan, in order to get the TR. They seldom pay TR unless you have a school loan.

10. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    You're already headed in the right direction by looking beyond the school and seeing what company would hire you. you're right about PAM... tossed in for mandatory teaming with another rookie for a period of time before heading out solo and getting Pennies A Mile (its truly no joke).

Definitely look into @Chinatown 's suggestions above. Getting paid to learn rather than paying to learn is what someone in your situation needs more than anything, even if it takes a few extra weeks before you can get started.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.