Looking for a GOOD job carrying food grade in Texas

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Thane, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Looking for a good job carrying food grade tanker. Preferably something dedicated in Texas. Am I being deluded by demanding the job be GOOD? I know the GREAT jobs are long gone. I'll settle for just 'good' now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The best pay in tanker is in chemical tank. Less waiting than food service too and when you do have to wait you get paid for it.

homeskillet and slim shady Thank this.
  4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    +1 w/kemosabi....while "some" food grade outfits pay well, "most" chemical outfits pay better.

Every food grade company I've worked for is first two hours free. Chemical often pays detention from minute 1.

Still, beat the bricks, make some calls. Your job is out there somewhere. Good luck!

Thane Thanks this.
  5. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Homeskillet, I must have been working for the wrong outfits. One tanker job had me going to a plant, waiting to get loaded, sometimes up to 6 hours, and then driving all night to get it to the receiver. Many times it tried to wiggle out of that wait time. And I was hauling petroleum. Don't want to do that again.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  6. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    I think Indian River Transport has a Texas regional. Have you checked with them?

Thane Thanks this.
  7. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    There is no such thing as a good job. A job is just something temporary that's going to get you by. However a career position last 10yrs plus. And typically pays well and the worker tends to be happy working there. There aren't many career positions in trucking. But if you look you will find them.

As for the talk of chemical tankers. Houston and San Antonio has about a thousand companies. But most bulk chemical haulers pay about 55k-68k per year. And a few pay 70k and up. Chemical distribution Companies tend to pay well and have the driver home every night to reload or every other night.

Then there is the oilfield in west, south, and North Central Texas.
    There are a ton of hazmat tanker positions in the oilfield. But there are maybe only 80-100 decent ones.

Catalyst oilfield services has a local job in San Antonio and local in midland. Reagent Chemical has a 30 day on 7 day off set up in the midland area.

Last Time Around and speedyk Thank this.
  8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Companies like Brentag, Nalco, Univar, Peroxi Chem, Reagent, Heniff (in certain areas), Air Products, Linde, Praxair, are the ones to look into.

Hi-way transport, Superior Carriers, Andrews Logistics, Action Resorces, Trimac, and any big bulk tanker company you can think of may have a local position. But it will be slim pickings as everyone else wants what you want too.

Quality carriers has emailed me so much that would be another to look into. Service Transport and etc. Explore what's out there and decide on 5 companies then narrow them down to one.

For the most part the oilfield may be the better option right now. Unless you need to be home everynight. Drivers are making $85k-$110k driving a company truck

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    slim shady and speedyk Thank this.
  9. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yes, that was DEFINITELY the wrong company......

Driving for Matlack years ago, I got caught up in a colossal eff up of a load between the shipper and the inspector. 17 hours waiting in a day cab. When they finally got me loaded I just drove back to the terminal. 22 hrs on duty. Got paid every dime of the 17 hours, got paid the "outlaw" mileage back to the terminal, too.

I'm hauling food grade now. A few weeks ago I pull in to a receiver, there's another truck already unloading. 8pm appointment. I go kick back in the sleeper.

Get a call @ 10pm the tank is full, can't unload me 'til 6am. Ok, 8pm to 10 pm is their two free hours. Took my 10 in the sleeper, unloaded 6am to 9am. Put in for, and was paid, 11 hrs detention.

Detention and accessorials are usually the first two things I ask about when I interview a tanker outfit.

88 Alpha, Smut and REO6205 Thank this.
  10. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Ill add one to @haz-matguru list
    Suez water, used to be GE.
    Their hiring in certain locations excellent money there

haz-matguru and bbq247365 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.