Looking for a good local job with a normal schedule for a new driver

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by usc7902, Jan 4, 2019.

1. usc7902

usc7902 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    I will soon be retiring from a career in law enforcement and will be making the change to driving a truck. I already have my CDL permit and going through a driving school at a local Tech college to obtain my CDL A, which I will finish up in a couple of months. I only want to drive local, so that I can spend as much time at home with my family as possible. I have read that most new drivers start out in beverage or food service, but I know that it can also be pretty demanding physically. I am 40 years old and in pretty decent shape, but I have no idea how long I could hold up doing that kind of work based on all of the horror stories I've read about! Are there many people my age still doing this type of work. I've also looked into some LTL companies and petroleum haulers, which sounds like it could also be an option. My main goal is to find a decent company that will provide as "normal" of a schedule as possible (guess that's pretty much what all of us are looking for). Any suggestions from those that have worked local before?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

What city are you in or near. Many trucking companies have Dedicated work where you serve the same customer on regular runs and even with regular day or night starting times. I did one for almost 18 years. I worked 5 days weeks, until the end, had weekends off. Was home for a week for July 4, Christmas & New Years.

Drive around your city and look for day ab trucks, trucks with no sleeper compartment. Note the names on the doors of those companies and call them. Every trucking company is in need of drivers. Many or most hire new drivers.

speedyk, Mike2633 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  4. usc7902

usc7902 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Thanks for the reply tscottme. I’m in upstate South Carolina near Greenville so I’m sure there are some options like you recommended. I’ll be on the lookout for them for sure. That sounds exactly like the type of schedule I’m looking for! I’ve worked enough holidays and weekends in my line of work already!

5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    There's usually local stuff available all the time. Usually anything that has to do with hauling stuff from manufacturing plants to there in-state customers that's pretty much set schedule with most holidays and weekends off.

Food isn't so bad we have guys at my work who have been in the food business for 25-26 years.

Gasoline hauling if you're in that kind of tanker work that usually runs all the time, that's 24-7 never stops.

Grocery Store Hauling from the Grocery Store Warehouse to the Grocery Stores them selves, that's 24-7 business and pretty much never stops also is kind of mediocre pay. Talon Logistics Giant Eagles private fleet pretty much runs around the clock they may take a very brief and I mean brief pause for Christmas and Thanksgiving, but other then that there 24-7 grocery stores get upwards of 3-4 truck loads a day from the distribution center. You might have to unload the trailer, but it's easy.

Fresinious Manufacturing (True Blu Logistics) they are the transport branch for Fresinious which makes Kidney Dialysis and other blood filtering and medical machines. They operate mostly during normal hours, but because Kidney Dialysis centers and other blood services and medical stuff never closes you'll work many Monday-Fridays, but there stuffs all on pallets and lift gates it's not horribly physical.

Companies like DiMateo Cartage and stuff are like what you want. Local Companies that work Monday-Friday serving local manufacturing industries.

Same with like Cleveland Express Trucking they do a lot of LTL work and cartage work in Cleveland, Ohio area.

The companies that have day cabs and are based out of you're town or area in close vicinity are who to call.

6. CornStalk

CornStalk Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Midwest
    Good luck, I retired after 15 years as an LEO about 3 years ago, I turned 41 back in November. Don’t know what kind of farm work you have around your area, but I work M-F for a local grain operation that keeps me busy year around. We don’t work holidays and we can work Saturdays if we choose to.
    I even worked at Sysco for a short time until I got onto the farm full time, but that wasnt my cup of tea, plus it sucks being the new guy in a union shop. The only good thing that came out of that was I lost 30lbs in a month in a half.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Reason for edit: Add more info
    Mooseontheloose and Mike2633 Thank this.
  7. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Good hours? Try Propane, tankwagon work etc... I’d say if you want good “normal” hours out of the gate, get your Class A and do Class B work. You won’t get rich but you’ll make money. And in my experience, you’ll be more active and lose some lbs. Like @CornStalk said, being new in a union shop sucks along with some ltl yards if you want p&d normal hours. Low man equals less work usually. All just depends on your area.

Badmon and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. usc7902

usc7902 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Thanks for the info guys! Everything mentioned are all options in my area. Manufacturing is really big with BMW nearby. I’ve also seen food service jobs posted pretty frequently (Cheney Brothers) and there is a good bit of farming locally too, so that could be an option as well. Hauling petroleum was also something I’ve considered since there are a couple of tank farms close by. Guess I just need to do some more research on all of these and see what’s the best fit as far as schedule and $ goes.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve delivered some of the Fresenius crap before and those aren’t easy, especially if you can’t get to the back door with the size truck you have. They get heavy shipments.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Don’t go the food service route if you can help it. That is a young man’s game IMHO.

2BucTruck, austinmike and Mike2633 Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Class A CDL Driver
    Carolina Chem-Strip of SC - Fountain Inn, SC
    hourly pay, local/regional work, no experience required.
    Carolina Chem-Strip
    chem-strip.com
    [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.