Looking for advice on getting into trucking. near Dumfries VA?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by hockeydudeva, Sep 13, 2018.

1. hockeydudeva

hockeydudeva Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Traveling here by myself and thinking about getting into trucking anybody near dumfries Va got any advice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. clarkboys6

clarkboys6 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Central VA
    Well, I'm not a trucker but I have researched this profession over the past 6-months and I'm in the Lynchburg, VA area. I have no experience or skills related to trucking, but I have burned up many, many hours researching options that may be appropriate for the next chapter in my own life. I would suggest that you expand on your question and give the pros on this forum a little more information about yourself and why you are "thinking about getting into trucking". If you give them something to work with, I believe you will find many guys/gals here that are more than willing to help you. I have certainly been blessed by their input. Go Leafs!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive been thinking about this as well.

When you mention Dumfries I instantly go back in time to my past sitting on their platform with a seacan at 110K permitted for 99K in two states and sweating as the Law inside the building eyeballs everything, me and truck and considers the issue. It's really common until I learned to use either the US 301 bridge (UGH....) or the US 15.

I don't even know if that scale is still operational I have not been there since Arlington in 2004.

But ultimately I must agree with clarkboys6. I am interested in helping you with whatever is possible but we need infromation. You cannot just type a twitter type sentence and expect answers to flow from all these drivers here. Some are motor carriers who own and run trucks as a company and others are very good and knowledgable here.

Fill out with a post about what you want for the future, where you like to go, possibly what you think to do and perhaps some goals. Trucking is all or nothing something bigger than just a 9-4 in the government building. The more you tell us what you want to do, the easier it gets to help you.

clarkboys6 Thanks this.
  5. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    Check into Millis Transfer. They have a school 70 miles from Lynchburg in Eden NC and after 3.5 weeks you set out w a trainer and make .43 a mile. I'm in week 2 and Millis is legit.

Jflo123, clarkboys6 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    My advice?

Trucking is not for everybody. Do lots of homework here and elsewhere about what you'd actually be getting yourself into. For some, it's a worthwhile job. For others, it's a miserable existence. Most quit before reaching their 6th month. Either out of frustration and despair, or the carrier lets them go because they can not afford all the damage costs and liability risks they bring to the table. Not everyone can grasp the basic concepts before it's too late.

x1Heavy and clarkboys6 Thank this.
  7. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Do you already have a CDL?
    Money to get one or are you going to need a company to pay for it?
    How far are you willing to drive to get to your job?
    Do you want to be home daily/weekly/monthly?
    Are you willing to get HAZMAT/Tanker/Doubles endorsements?

Just to name a few questions off the top of my head...

x1Heavy and clarkboys6 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.