Looking for advice on starter companies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cholthe, Feb 25, 2017.

1. cholthe

cholthe Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    I'm currently in school right now, I graduate in two weeks (Rochester, MN area). so far we've had Werner and Schneider recruiters come in and talk to our class. I'm only 20 at the moment but I turn 21 in April, I'm looking to go OTR and home time isn't an issue, just looking to make some money, travel, and live out my dream I've had since i went with my dad as a little kid. Not really sure what company to go with, they both kinda say the same thing and seem like they say what you wanna hear. I'd prefer to stick with van or reefer until i get some experience, manuals are kind of a big thing for me (don't want an automatic), rider program would be pro also. I like with Schneider you only have 3 weeks of training and then you're on your own and making money. Any advice anybody has on starter companies would be great, I'm open to different companies, I only mentioned Werner and Schneider because they are the only ones that have come in. Thanks in advance for your input, sorry for the long post I'm new at this. lol

-Thanks, Connor

swaggerjacker, Lepton1 and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    @Chinatown
    The resident company guru will post some advice shortly.

Also, add some details on whether you want to run local, regional, or OTR.(You said OTR, but there are occasionally Regional companies that pay better)
    Flatbed, dry, reefer, tankers?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Inthedark

Inthedark Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2016
    springfield MO
    You're right, they will lie and tell you what ever you want to hear. Be careful and do the best to make informed decisions. With college time, any portion of the industry is within your reach.

Steelhauler1246 and cholthe Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Did you notice all companies claim to get you 2500 miles per week and understand your home-time is important? You can apply anywhere, not just the companies that show up at school. Don't lease a truck NO MATTER WHAT, including promises of gold bars and cheerleader driving assistants. STAY AWAY FROM SWIFT & CR ENGLAND.

Finding a "good company" is about a fit between you and them. Only you can determine that. I usually recommend you pick a company BEFORE you go to school. School is usually too busy to do much research and immediately after school you may have a loan to start repaying. Before school you have more time to choose.

Schneider is pretty good in that they are pretty well organized and they have been in the business a long time. I hear Werner is turning things around but I'm not sure I've heard enough people confirm that.

cholthe Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    In five years, what do you want to be doing: flatbed, oversize, tanker, carhauler, etc? I respect your thinking to do dry van or reefer to start, but if you let us know your longer range plan we can give more practical advice.

Between Werner and Schneider it would be Schneider hands down.

Another question: do you see yourself wanting to become an owner operator?

cholthe Thanks this.
  7. cholthe

cholthe Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    If I like driving and want to continue with it, yes, I would look into becoming an owner op. but right now I'm just kind of playing it by year and looking to getting some experience under my belt and wondering what all of you guys have for advice on starter companies until I get some experience. 5 years from now I think I'd like to continue doing dry van or reefer but it's hard to say since I haven't done it before. I just gave Werner or Schneider as examples, I'm open to pretty much anybody. Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

pattyj Thanks this.
  8. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    I started pulling tankers with Schneider after retiring from Army and I like it. Only bad side is I live 130 miles from where I park. I have friends driving dry vans and couple flat beds all are under 2 yr exp and I make more money then them. But I do more work than my dry van friends too. I heard tmc is good for flatbed to start out at. And Schneider trains you on tanker very well. They used my military time and transferred into pay which helped me out a lot. Just go into what u want to learn with who will train u the best and get experience then look for company u really want later I think is best

cholthe Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's some companies that hire 21 yr. old drivers:
    Schuster - refrigerated
    Trekker Logistics - Earl Henderson Trucking is their refrigerated division
    Navajo Express
    Martin Bros. Distributing - don't know how many states they run.
    Pride Transport
    J&R Schugel
    Don Hummer Trucking
    All the above hire new cdl grads. If the website has different, then the website hasn't been updated.
    Apply to all of them.

cholthe Thanks this.
  11. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I would take a week off after you finish and get your license and go knock on a few local doors before you sign up for any of those clown shows. They send those company schmucks out to hoover up all the fresh meat for a reason...same thing back when I went to school. Nobody from a job worth having is going to come beg you to work there.

Look up all the LTL terminals in your area and just go walk in and ask if they'll train a new guy with a new CDL. I know Old Dominion trains guys off the dock to get their license so it's not as if they don't deal with newbies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.