Looking for advise , unusuall situation

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Just_curious, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Just_curious

Just_curious Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2020
    thanks
    fuel calculated ,its even cheaper now , PODs are joke , looked at that option ,way to expensive , at least they could pay more to owner operators ,truck goes one way , the cost would be 1/10 what PODs would cost me

Doealex and GoneButNotForgotten Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    OK, best of luck to you.

4. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Get a temp tag for the gvwr and throw "NOT FOR HIRE" signs on the door..... if a cop opens the door, it's all your personal crap, anyway

MTN Boomer Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Which does nothing to make it legal...
    Not for hire is a myth. it's still a CMV and must be licensed and treated as such.

Now knowing the owner is driving does make it plausible. All that's needed is insurance and tags and yearly inspection.. Temp tags and insurance I don't think are allowed for moves like this, but I'd like an O/O that's actually knows this to chime in.

Again, it's still a CMV and must follow 100% of the same laws an 18 wheeler would have to follow. That includes HOS, pulling into weigh stating, etc. Now part of HOS is pulling your own stuff and not needing to log, just keep in mind that has to be proven to an officer. Likely easy to do in this case, just something to keep in mind.

Yearly inspection has to be current no matter what though. And of course anything wrong in part 393 has to be fixed before rolling. It's a bit more than just starting the truck and rolling.

6. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    It's a straight truck. How many Penske/ Ryder/ Enterprise truck drivers (those who rent them to move their own crap) do you think have a log book in the truck? I moved my mother in a Penske truck from IL to SC and never pulled into a scale.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well if he doesn't want to be legal why is he asking? Like I said he very, very likely will have no problem with logs, but it is something at least the driver has to be mindful of.

Heck, I can see an officer making the case that since the owner is pulling this load for work done to fix the truck it's a commercial move. Again, just need to keep in mind it's a CMV and in that case as long as the driver doesn't talk himself into a violation it would be no problem.

P.S. You likely used a non-commercial box truck rated at 26,000lbs. He has a CMV rated at 33,000 lbs. Makes a huge difference.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not quite.

Being a truck you have the ownership of that road whatever it is. You get first pass. All others such as out of state rec travelers crossing into arkansas are being told to turn around and leave the state as of yesterday per gov orders when they try to book a arkansas hotel. They will find there is no legal room to rent here for them.

Truckers certainly what suite please? But recreational? Nope. Closed.

Its a small step towards whats happening in Baltimore City where Humvees are parked at say east Monument street which happens to be a corner of Johns Hopkins Hospital and every third intersection around. And another was just positioned in Monument St and Northern Pkway where a local bank is being cleaned out on a massive run by the city today.

As things progress open is not open anymore. Prepare for that.

9. Just_curious

Just_curious Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2020
    what if owner moves his stuff ?

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Again, don't talk yourself into a violation and all will be fine assuming other paperwork is fine. The take away is it is a CMV and must be treated as such even pulling personal stuff.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    All the Owner has to say is it’s his personal stuff. There’s no way to prove or disprove anything. I doubt he’ll have a bit of a problem. Maybe even less problems. Cut and dry. Start making BOL, getting cargo ins. Liability, and such, cracks appear and DOT has recourse. Besides nothing wrong with a friend helping out another friend. Last I heard no License was needed for Volunteer work.

MTN Boomer and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.