Looking for an employer.

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by KendallTucky, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KendallTucky

KendallTucky Bobtail Member

May 26, 2008
    IN
    Hi all. I live in N.E. Indiana and am looking for a new career as a commercial driver. I am almost out of the program offered by SAGE. The only problem is, is that I had a DUI in Feb. of 2004 and also another DUI in 2003, and other non violent misdermeanors but no felonies. I'm 26 now and have left the "bottle" alone and was once young and dumb. Other than the DUI's I have no violations within 5 years Do I have any hope? and if so with who?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. woodstock36

woodstock36 Medium Load Member

May 17, 2008
    NY
    As far as I know, for the norm you cannot have any DUIs within the last 5 years, but dont quote me on that, that has been my husbands experience with the last 3 companies, that he applied to. That school should have mentioned something to you, I dont understand this, this is the 2cnd time I have seen this? My husband wnet through BTTI, and they would not even sign him up until they checked his driving record,and new that he could be placed after school. I am sorry that I do not have any better news for you, but that is what we have been through, my hubands is 9 years old, and they still find it, but say that it is over 5 years, so its ok. Good luck to you. :biggrin_25519:

4. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    ooooooooh, 2 DUIs in the last 5 years? yeh, that's not good! a lot of companies, it's "no DUIs in the last 5 years, no more than one, EVER." yeh, typically, a trucking company is not going to want an alcoholic behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler. not sure why exactly. but I guess they have their reasons. oh, and just telling them that you're not a drunk anymore probably won't help.

but there's no reason for the driving school to tell him that, they just want the tuition.

5. OTRlightly

OTRlightly Bobtail Member

May 21, 2008
    Ft Worth, Texas
    According the the safety regulations by fmcsa;
    391.15 Subsequent offenders; A driver is disqualified for 3 years after the date of his/her convicgtion or forfeiture of bond or collateral if during the 3 years proceding that date, he/she was convicted of, or forfeited bond or collateral upon a charge of, an offense that would disqualify him/her under the rules in this section.

Having 1 dui is bad, but to have 2 within that time frame I would think is unforgiving by the dot. Therefore, I really doubt any company would take you on as a commercial driver.
    Insurance companies actually dictate to these companies who they can hire and under what circumstances.
    If you really are determined I suggest you call a few of the companies that you might want to go to work for. Ask for their safety person this should help you.
    Good Luck!

6. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I would agree that most OTR companies, and just about any that I would want to work for, will choke on the DUIs. Speaking as a recovering alcoholic, I know how lucky I was to never get caught - and I had my last drink almost 30 years ago.

I would suggest you focus your job search on local companies. For some reason that I've not puzzled out, they seem to be less... picky about the histories of their drivers. If you keep your record clean for a few more years, you can take another look at OTR.

For the record, I don't fault the school for agreeing to teach you. They are not your parents, nor are they your future employer. You hired them to teach you what you need for a CDL - and it sounds likely that you'll get it. If you'd gon to - say - Schneider for the training and THEY had agreed, knowing they'd not hire you... yeah, I'd be peeved.

I recommend you go whole hog and get the hazmat, tanker, and doubles/triples endorsements as well. You may not need them - but then again, they WILL improve your employment chances. Heck, get the passenger endorsement, too. It's not glamorous (trucking is??) but money is money - and you get paid for shuffling people around just as you get paid for hauling cabbages or paint.

7. KendallTucky

KendallTucky Bobtail Member

May 26, 2008
    IN
    Thanks for all the info. I'm working with my school in trying to get a job. I found that CRST goes back 3 years and I am clean in the past 4. Even if I must grind it out there and get some experience (and avoid any offences) I think i may just be able to make a run at this yet. Any other info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.:biggrin_25511:

8. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Sounds as though you have a handle on it. Get that job, stick it out cleanly for a year or so, and move on - if you want to. Who knows, you might like it at CRST.

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    It might be 4 months before you see home with them.... pay is low too...

There was a team here yesterday, might still be here, can't see over there. They have not got home in 13 weeks. They refused to go back to NY they want to go south to go home. Their co punished them by making them shut down for 2 days and gave them a refused load on their report.

10. truckmunky

truckmunky Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2008
    richmond, va
    i will tell u right now from experience crst goes back 5 years , never believe a recruiter.

11. truckmunky

truckmunky Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2008
    richmond, va
    out of curiousity , what are the other non-violent misdemeanors? companies tend to seem to frown on those , too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.