Looking for change, maybe lease or 1099

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ZhenyaP1991, May 27, 2022.

1. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    So, next month I'll be officially debt free with no bills. I've been a company driver close to a decade and I want to experience something different. Maybe a lease or 1099. I am leaning towards more 1099 since a lot of employers I contacted speak my language and it brings comfort to me.
    So, this is a whole new industry to me. I have no idea what I am doing, but I want to try it. Everytime I get a facebook msg, it looks like a spam and a scam. How would one trust a 1099 employer? I am tho pretty familiar with 1099 taxes, but not how they move trucks. Is it possible to pick your own loads as 1099 and kind of be owner operator in disguise?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I'm pretty sure a native born English speaker can swindle a fellow English speaker just as easily as one Russian can rip off another Russian.

Never heard anything kind about the 1099 set up or lease purchase. Best to apply for a bank loan if you want to purchase your own tractor.

4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    You don't.

If the title for the truck isn't in your name, or the lease agreement is dependent on your employment with the carrier, you're getting scammed and/or abused.

If you're a serious guy, have a conversation with @Dave_in_AZ and @otterinthewater about good ways to get into truck ownership.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I don't know about all that.

I put guys in trucks with $0 money up front.

I do require they stay at Landstar until they pay off the truck.

For someone to walk up, hand you the keys to a truck with 0 risk to you, isn't exactly what I'd call abuse.

But yea, I'd terminate their agreement for morale turpitude, so will you're employer.

6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010

You have integrity. You're also not the deciding factor on if Landstar terminates a driver (I believe).

Most 1099 lease deals do not have integrity or honesty as a corner stone.

I also believe that you won't take a risk on someone who is destined to fail. If the op has a conversation with you, and you reject him hopefully the op will learn something from the experience and may avoid getting bent over by Chad from Elk Grove Village.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I don't have any integrity.

Like I said my contract is written the same as your employers.

I can fire someone if I don't like how they tie their shoes.

Two things I look for are honesty and is the guy self defeating.

I think I'm a lot like my old man.

As long as you were honest, if you showed up covered in blood with an axe, he'd hide you from the police and ask," Does anyone know about this?"

Now if you lied.........I'd say you best watch where you sit that axe.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    It is. You don't.

1099 is only legal if you can work when and where you want. The moment a single dispatch is forced, its illegal. The moment they tell you that you cannot take the truck to work for someone else, its illegal.

Its nothing more than a scam to cheat on payroll taxes, benefits, and workman's compensation insurance. Once you price these out, you will find you are losing out big time under a 1099, unless you also have the expenses to go with it. Can't deduct the operational expenses if you aren't the one paying them.

Basically you are giving them all the tax deductions while simultaneously relieving them of any tax liability for your employment and any benefits expenses for your employment. They win everything, you lose everything... all for the 10 cpm carrot they dangled in front of you.

If you decide to lease a truck instead of going 1099, go ahead, but you still aren't an O/O if its a lease-purchase. Once again, they hold all the cards, and they can starve you out and take the truck back at any time. Lease OR purchase a truck, go 1099, get the deductions (and expenses), and you will be fine. Any other situation is a scam.

10. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Also no SSA contributions under 1099.

As you said, 1099 is illegal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.