Looking for Insight & Guidance Getting Into Drivign Please

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DaniMae, Oct 28, 2021.

1. DaniMae

DaniMae Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2021
    Santa Maria, CA
    I am single, 46 years old, and have 2 teenagers. In 2011 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis followed by a very difficult five years. I was put on disability then spent 15 years as a stay at home mom. Three years ago I started treatment that changed my life for the better. I have been stable ever since. I dated a car hauler for two years: was able to go on a four day run experiencing life on the road along with a few short one day pick up and drop off. Having two teens that are only home every other week then even when they are they don’t need mom much has left me longing for something more. My options are wide open but everything keeps coming back to trucking. I’m ready to get back in the work force and driven to create my own success. I would greatly appreciate any insight, opinions, and guidance pertaining to:
    Some companies (like SWIFT) have their own school and with a year employment commitment provide it for free. Some trucking schools offer grants or financial aide. Any school recommendations in California? What about recommendations for companies that hire newly licensed drivers? I’ve heard some companies require a certain amount of previous employment. I appreciate the time anyone take to respond. Thank you!

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Can I ask what treatment? My wife has MS……..

you’ll find a maga to train you somewhere

4. DaniMae

DaniMae Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2021
    Santa Maria, CA
    When I would have a relapse my neurologist would refer to it as “breaking through”. Once I broke through a therapy he would move on. I had been on shots, infusions, pills…Ocrevus changed everything. Twice a year infusions and I have absolutely no side effects. Three very important things to know: she will sign paperwork that she was advised of possible increase risk of cancers, notably breast cancer. My oncologist felt the benefit outweighed the risk. Also, it wipes out bad AND good B cells leaving you immunocompromised. Neurologist compares it to that of someone on chemo. And last, no one told me but I found a ton of information online that discontinuing treatment can leave you worse off than when you started. Also called “bounce back”. Feel free to let me know if she has any more questions.

TheLoadOut and Cat sdp Thank this.
  5. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    if you can pass a d.o.t
    physical you shouldn't have any issues getting into trucking

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    She got worse by the day while on ocrevus….. glad it’s working for you.

We ended up doing hsct didn’t have much of a choice…. In a pandemic no less.

it’s encouraging to hear someone coming off disability to go back to work tho…. That’s her dream. We shall see……

I don’t know if I’d go out of my way to tell a employer you had ms…….I just don’t know……

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Swift is good, if you are based in the right place.
    SoCal may not be the best option unless you are near enough to Otay Mesa (San Diego).
    How are you on relocating to a better area?

Because, really, the smaller terminals are much better for your sanity and well being.
    They are the ones that make you feel like family.
    They are the ones with people that actually care for you.

Fontana was nice. Otay Mesa was better.
    Inver Grove Heights, MN was even better.
    Menasha, WI equals IGH - after IGH was shut down.

I am nearly 11 years in with Swift, and they have treated me well.
    But, I have been at the smaller terminals the whole time.

Speed_Drums and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A 'stay at home mom' or a 'housewife' doesn't count as being unemployed.

RamblinSaro, Wasted Thyme and Deadwood Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    One of our crude oil drivers is a lady and I’ve met plenty driving over-the-road. This could end up being a job that you really love.

I remember when I was OTR in winter, it would be -30 degrees in Chicago and my next load would be Orlando or Tampa. I felt like I won the lottery.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you are considering the private CDL school option (and that's the way I did it--and can strongly recommend that option), one idea you might try is to zero in on the company (or companies) that you'd like to work for--then visit their website and/or a nearby terminal, and look/ask for a listing of the preferred driving schools from which they like to hire.

Some companies do in fact have such a list; so if you get a diploma from one of these preferred schools, it should make getting in MUCH easier (assuming they are in fact hiring new drivers then).

Given your medical history--review and understand the requirements of the DOT physical, FIRST. MAKE SURE you stand a good chance of passing it, before you invest a lot of time/money/effort.

All of Chinatown's recommendations are pretty much rock solid options, especially for a beginner.

With Swift and Stevens Transport, you should see most of the United States at some point; not so sure about the others.

--Lual

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.