Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Shewho, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Shewho

Shewho Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2017
    I signed up for a school and the instructor told me on the first day that since I couldn't get on the ground and under the truck and then get back up again that I couldn't attend the class for CDL. So do I really need to be able to crawl underneath the truck to be a good truck driver? I figure I could use adaptive devices like mirrors so that I can see under the truck and check for damage leaks excetera. So I guess just looking for opinions on if they think this is reasonable accommodation I'm asking for or it would jeopardize safety. Thanks for your input but please be kind not being able to go to school has been very upsetting for me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I am constantly bending and leaning in under it to check kingpin, pull locking bar out for sliding tandems and things of that nature, and checking brake chambers, inside tires during pre/post trips but I don't think I've ever actually been on the ground and totally under the truck since I've been in school. But getting into and out of trailers is a daily thing. If, for whatever the reason is, you can't do that, then I see it as a real problem.

Although I see a boatload of guys that probably couldn't get under a truck with a gun pointed to their head, personally I do think a person should be able to do so. Winter is coming and sooner or later I figure my luck will run out and I'll have to get under there to deal with frozen brakes or shoveling out around certain spots at the very least.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Why can't you get on the ground or under the truck?

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    First.... dump that school. Go to another. That is incompetence.

Second... There are companies who will test you. They'll call it a duck walk. Want you to walk on your feet under the truck. Or whatever. I think it's stupid. This is the kind of stuff that comes from administrators. Not drivers, or engineers. Just stay away from certain companies. You can find them on youtube. Proudly showing their physical agility tests. I think it's showing how anal and stupid they are.
    Third... Anyone can get down on the ground. Crawl around on their hands and knees if they have to. Get back up? Use something on the truck for support to get back up. Like the landing gear, the rear bumper, or the tires. Ain't no big deal.

You will need to get under there. That kingpin is extremely important to check. Must check those jaws on the 5th wheel. Make sure they're closed on that kingpin. You need to get under there to check the free play in the slack adjusters. Can't do that with mirrors.

patsy Thanks this.
  6. Shewho

Shewho Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2017
    I really appreciate your Insight thank you. it may be that I find somebody I can use their truck to climb around underneath see if I can do the duck walk thing. And I agree find another school is a good idea at least an instructor who's willing to see if I can do my safety check completely before they boot me out of the program. I am very limited in my area there is only two schools so I'm thinking I might be able to go to the next state over for more schools choices. Well thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Reason for edit: Hit the button before I was ready.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I always did it the easy way; instead of crawling under the truck or trailer for pre-trip, I'd just do like we did in the Navy; "gun deck" the paperwork.
    "The term "gun deck" is Navy slang for fabricating or falsifying something. This term is now used to indicate the falsification of documentation in order to avoid doing the work or make present conditions seem otherwise acceptable."

8. Shewho

Shewho Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Lol about the gun
    Thanks for your response I would never even have thought about Frozen brakes due to my inexperience. So it's sounding more and more to me that I'm not going to be able to skate through this it's a definite Hands-On kind of thing. Thanks again

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you want to drive for a living; there's other types of driving that don't require a cdl.
    Courier services and expedite services; some just need a Class-C drivers license.

As far as a cdl though, I've seen drivers get out of 18 wheelers and use a wheel chair. Saw one guy that appeared to be paralyzed in the legs and used a lift to get out of the truck, then walked on crutches. I've seen drivers with artificial legs and they do just fine. They must have gotten waivers.

10. Shewho

Shewho Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Ooohhh not good
    :(
    My oldest is a master chief :) maybe in the Navy you could get away with that because you know somebody is keeping the equipment in top order. But out in the civilian world I don't know if that would be a real good idea. But thanks anyway for your input

JReding Thanks this.
  11. Shewho

Shewho Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2017
    See this is what I love about throwing something out in the Forum like this these are things I didn't even think about it really is all about I love to drive and right now do to my lower back joints Etc there's not a lot of jobs I can do and I really hate to sit at home I've always been very active. So yes I will be looking into different places I can drive without a CDL thanks!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.