Looking for options in SW Florida

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by bds316, May 22, 2018.

1. bds316

bds316 Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Well I’m 26 years old, currently working as a certified mechanic at a car dealership for the past 6 or 7 years. Long story short Iv reached a point where I really don’t feel like doing mechanic work anymore so now I’m looking into getting on the road and driving. My grandpa drove from 1934 till the 80s, my dad has been driving otr since about 99. I also have two uncles that drive otr. I still go otr on trips with my dad each year for a week or two. All together Iv had a good amount of passenger seat time with some of them since I was a little kid so I have a good understanding of how most of it works and what I’m getting into. My problem is I’m not fond of the idea to pay $5k+ for a couple weeks of training to get a cdl so I’m really looking into going with one of these company’s that contract you in for a year and get your cdl through them. Iv narrowed it down to prime, TMC, and Jim Palmer/Wil-Trans. Prime is at the bottom of my list because the mega carriers don’t appeal to me much. TMC is my top #1 choice hands down. I called them but I’m about 70 miles south from their hiring area in Tampa and they didn’t sound like they could work with me much. Wil Trans is the next to contact since they apparently hire from Florida at least and run on east coast. Any other options for my area? Think I should maybe call back TMC? My sister lives in the hiring area they have an open position for and it wouldn’t be a huge deal to throw her some rent money and relocate there. They just seem like they have the best training and the only company I wouldn’t mind doing flatbed at.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Check out Cypress. Think I spelled it right
    Or TMC and live in truck kinda and tell them you will be staying at your sisters place. TMC won’t really care if you aren’t going home all the time creating unessecary out of route.

4. Linte_Loco

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Schneider has some dedicated gigs in FL also

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you want flatbed, change your address to your sisters address. Put that address on your drivers license, then go with TMC or Cypress Truck Lines in Jacksonville.
    You can go with a private cdl school and Freymiller will reimburse the tuition. They're a refrigerated company with an excellent reputation.
    [​IMG]

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Stevens Transport has cdl school in Tampa. Maybe they hire in your area.
    www.stevenstransport.com
    Tampa CDL Training Location:
    8501-B Sabal Industrial Blvd. || Tampa, FL 33619

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd put TMC first
    Cypress 2nd
    the reason being, TMC runs more states than Cypress. Both companies will give good training though; they can't afford to turn a new driver loose in their expensive equipment unless the new driver is properly trained.
    If you need; go ahead now and change the address on your drivers license to your sisters address. The address on your license is the one you'll use on job applications.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  8. bds316

bds316 Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Thanks for the replies. I checked out Cypress just now. Looks like they could maybe work out for me from what I read on their website so far. I will definitely add them to my list. When I talked to TMC and they said I wasn't in the hiring area I also asked them what if I went about 70 miles north into the hiring area? They said they don't offer the cdl training which didn't make much sense because I know they do the whole schooling and training program but without asking to elaborate, I'm sure they meant training for that area. It was a quick phone call and I was busy at work I will probably call back again when I have the time to ask questions. TMC has an ad posted in Tampa for otr flatbed and it says at the bottom "position is available to both students and experienced drivers". I guess students would technically mean fresh out of school with a cdl?

9. Linte_Loco

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Correct. Fresh out of school

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's just a few states TMC recruits from to attend their in-house cdl school. Florida isn't on that list.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.