Looking for some direction once I obtain my CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jmz, Mar 9, 2018.

1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I live in St. Louis will be training for my CDL-A at a local community college in a few weeks. I decided to pay my own way just to open more doors and to get what really seems like quality training. Once I obtain my CDL, I'm not really sure who I want to work for though. This is something I want to figure out soon, so I have time to research my options and apply ahead of time, and hopefully start working as soon as I have my CDL.

I am NOT wanting to go OTR, and I realize that may limit my options right away. I would like something that allows me to be home at least every other day, if not every day. I would also prefer something with benefits on day one, or one consistent day off every week that I can use to work my other job and maintain my benefits there.

I'm kind of all over the place when looking at what type of work I want to do. One company I was looking at is Hogan, since they do dry van and reefer deliveries at my current job, and I know they get home at least every other day. Another company I was looking at is McLane, mostly since it seems to pay really well, and I don't mind physical work if I'm compensated accordingly. However, I'm not sure if they hire with no experience, and I'm not even sure if they have a DC in this area. They have a location listed on their website, but it's unclear if it's a DC or an office, and it's new enough that the google maps view shows an empty lot.

I'd appreciate any advice on what I should look for and who to apply with.

Mooseontheloose and Need4Speed Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Hogan has a reputation for very small paychecks most of the time.
    McLane has a reputation for big paychecks all the time. Apply and see what happens. Sometimes they hire with only a cdl permit and sometimes they want experience.
    Sygma Network is similar to McLane, but hauls for Sysco.
    Some Beelman terminals hire new cdl grads and some terminals want a year experience. It's pretty much a local type job.

Mooseontheloose, Radman and jmz Thank this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes this could work out well for you as your not obligated to repay your debt back to the [transport] company that usually gets you to sign on with them and work for no money while you pay them back for the CDL Training. However with this option there is no guarantee of a job i'd be calling around to see which companies will take on a recently graduated recruit. And you'll still have to go out with a trainer for a few weeks or more not sure if its a set amount of time, or its how quick you can pick up the driving and delivery process.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    U.S. Foods - St. Louis
    Delivery Driver Trainee - St. Louis Ambassador Blvd. - 18000911
    Basic Purpose-To attract candidates with a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with less than six months commercial driving experience. This is a trainee position, involving a structured 90-180 day training program, both classroom and on-the-road. Must have a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with less than six months commercial driving experience. Class A issued by the state of legal residence with the necessary endorsements and be DOT qualified. At the conclusion of this training program, a successful candidate should be qualified to advance to the position of Delivery Driver. All functions must be completed in a safe and timely manner and in accordance with Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. During the training period, the trainee will work with designated senior drivers selected to participate in the program and will assist in delivery duties to gain insight into the physical requirements of the job, safe work practices, and receive coaching on their driving skills
    Primary Location
    : MO-St. Louis
    Schedule
    : Full-time
    Shift
    : Day Job
    Job Function
    : Delivery
    [​IMG]

Cardfan89, Radman and jmz Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Airgas:
    Airgas USA, LLC is hiring a Class A CDL Driver in St. Louis, MO-63143
    Home Every Night – Benefits – Consistent Hours – Stability
    Airgas offers a full benefits package that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance, Vacation, Sick, Paid Holidays, 401(k) Retirement Plan with company match, Tuition Assistance and much more!

Graduate from an accredited truck driving school with a score of 80 percent or better.
    Must have a Class A with HAZMAT endorsement and clean MVR
    [​IMG][​IMG]

jmz Thanks this.
  7. Need4Speed

Need4Speed Light Load Member

May 8, 2013
    Hogan has generally good reviews on indeed.com

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FedEx Freight : Driver Apprentice - Courier/Tractor-Trailer Driver
    9 Bolte Lane, Saint Clair,Missouri 63077
    • Must possess a class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or a CDL permit prior to entering job classification
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    McLane Food Service - Possess a CDL Class A License; minimum driving experience of 1 year or 50,000 verifiable miles of tractor-trailer experience (If less, additional training time will be required at the discretion of the RVP) or successful completion of the McLane Driver Training Program.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gemini Motor Transport operates trucks across the United States, servicing Love's Travel Stops, wholesale and retail customers. Our Fuel Transport positions are among the best in the industry. Gemini strives to achieve only the highest safety ratings in our business, for our professional drivers and loyal customers.
    EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
    • 2 years of verifiable over-the-road driving experience or certification from accreditied truck driving academy!
    • [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    jmz and Radman Thank this.
  9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    McLane will hire you. They train permit drivers to get their CDL. Those guys have to sign a contract but you won’t. All you’ll need to do is the training which is 52k miles with a trainer I believe. Just depends on location if they need drivers or not. I’m sure they do. In my area they will hire new grads in a heartbeat.

Like explained above Sygma, Sysco, US Foods, I’ve seen and know they’ve hire without experience.

There’s a shuttle position in St. Louis. They will train. That’s a easy drive only position no unloading. Pays less then delivering but will pay more then any 1st year mega carrier position and usually it’s a 4 day work week home daily.

Chinatown and jmz Thank this.
  10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Thanks for the leads so far @Chinatown! All of those look promising.

I also meant to ask this about the Hazmat endorsement...I understand I need to go through a TSA background check and fingerprinting for it. I went through the exact same process two years ago to get my TSA Precheck (expedited security lanes at airports). Does the background check and fingerprinting transfer at all, since both are done through the DHS Universal Enroll program? Or would I need to go through the whole process again?

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Gordon Food Service: Home Daily - St. Louis
    • You must be 21years of age or older
    • CDL temp permit minimum requirement at hiring
    • CDL Class A (Commercial Driver’s License) required at hire or within 90 days of start date
    • Ability to satisfy DOT requirements
    • Must pass a RIAH (hair sample) drug screen
    • [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.