Looking for suggestions...... 40' bridge rule

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I have a trailer that is not marked in any way....

Where and how is the best way to make the 2 marks I need to identify the right locations for the 40' mark on a typical 53' trailer?

I heard there are different rules in different states.... is it 40' between kingpin and middle of FRONT axle, OR REAR axle (assuming that the trailer has 2 axles together)? I confuse easily and want a mark that can be seen in the mirror. Putting a mark(s) on the rail where the front pin would need to be for either rule might help when I have the luxury of a spare set of eyes to assist....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    You can get a 100ft tape and measure from the kingpin , there a some holes underneath the trlr that you can hook a tape too that line up with the kingpin.
    Or you can just lay out the tape on the ground.

Or you can measure from the back of the trlr and do some subtracting.

In the front pages of your Rand McNally road atlas you'll find all the info on state requirements for this topic.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    There are different rules in different states. You should just figure out where the lines need to be for each state. Those lines are limits, not necessarily an exact location where it needs to be. For example, California is 40 feet from kingpin to center of rear axle. But if that leaves your drive axles a touch heavy you can go a few holes forward. Just not further back.

Once you figure out where you need to be based on your weights and states you need to travel, get one of those pins that you shove through the hole that you don't want to pass. It's easier than trying to see a mark on your trailer in the mirror.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  5. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    By the way You'll need to know the kingpin distance from the nose to do the subtracting.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Don't forget Maryland's maximum 35% rear overhang rule ..
    Or Canada if you come up here.

Cattleman84 and driverdriver Thank this.
  7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Oh no this involves math!

spyder7723 and driverdriver Thank this.
  8. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    Sorry but I forgot a crucial detail

You also need to know wheather it's to
    Center of front axle
    Center of axle group
    Center of rear axle.
    Get ya a atlas..............

9. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I hate math, I hate it, I hate it....

I currently use a modified axle stopper(Tandem Slide Stopper | Iowa80.com)... I inserted an eye bolt through the hole, with matching nuts on the inside and outside and secured those with thread lock...

I also use the "trucker slide calc" app to do the actual math... I measured the distance between pin holes(4"), input the steer weight, drive weight, and trailer weight; then I tell it what hole the front pin is currently in.. it tells me what adjustment (if any) are needed or possible.

Attached Files:

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    The 100’ tape measure is your friend, along with the RM Road Atlas.

spyder7723, driverdriver and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I think that this would have been helpful as I started learning (I am not done yet)....

Here is how I use my tools:

Input my weights into the app. If it says to move my axles rearward(----->), say 5 holes, I count 6 from the 1st open hole behind the axle group and put my slide stop there. I then move my trailer until my slide stops, then reengage my pins. I then pull the trailer forward slightly until the pins engage. Then I can remove my slide stopper...

Then I reweigh and I am usually legal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.