Looking for suggestions....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Silverbeard, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Silverbeard

Silverbeard Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    I currently have 2 years solid experience hauling dry bulk pneumatic tankers in and around Texas region ( Houston based) chemical and industrial plants. I enjoy most of what my company offers such as getting home daily 85% of the time...out and back loads...good equipment...get to take truck home....and its a pretty easy gig but I don't think the money is right for what I'm doing. I have heard other tanker drivers easily knocking out $1500 weekly...I'm not making close to that. I average maybe 750-900 a week take home after taxes most weeks ...some weeks I can take home 1000+ without breaking a sweat....
    Am I looking at this wrong? Would I be sacrificing good fringe benefits to chase after a few hundred more dollars and would I be foolish to do so?
    I've learned in this industry you can't have it all....good fringe benefits=less pay
    More pay=less HOMETIME and fewer fringe benefits.....
    Just looking for advice / suggestions from those in the industry if I am under/over valuing myself....
    For better context...
    I am a 4 year driver...2 YEARS IN PNEUMATIC TANKS...48 years old
    Class A with Haz and Tank ENDS.
    TWIC CARD
    Perfect CSA and MVR
    ALSO EXTENSIVE FLATBED AND DRY VAN EXPERIENCE.....
    How should I value myself with these qualities?
    Thanks.....

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    You need to decide what’s most important to you, better money or great home time. If you’re doing a good job there’s nothing wrong with asking your company for a raise.

FlaSwampRat and Silverbeard Thank this.
  4. Silverbeard

Aug 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    I've considered that. I really do like the company I work for. I think I'm caught in the "grass is greener" trap at the moment. Just curious what other drivers think.
    We get an annual raise...uncapped. Also get quarterly bonuses. So the big picture is pretty good where I'm at, but obviously, we all want more money!! But at what cost is it worth?

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    To be honest, what your bringing home is in line with what your average truck driver makes. It's only the top 10, maybe even 5 percent making 1500 plus with good benefits and good hometime. You'll have to understand that a lot of driver embellish their wages

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can make more money than you're making now.
    Get with a chemical tanker outfit; there's plenty of choices around Houston.
    Trimac Transportation should be able to easily make over $72K per year.
    Trimac may still have their "Elite Fleet" and those drivers make well over $100K.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Groendyke Transport pulling liquid hazmat trailers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    lovesthedrive and Vic Firth Thank this.
  7. Silverbeard

Aug 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    I'm thinking the same thing. I've looked around a lot and across the board the only drivers making more than the average never go home so they never enjoy the money......and honestly I get paid pretty good for what I do AND get home a lot and keep my truck with me....

8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I am speaking from the point of view of OTR driver. One has to stay out a bit to see some real money. I dont mind staying out if the money is worth it. I like OTR better than local, but if you're making that type money with regulat hometime, I would say you're working smarter than me hahahaha. The money is good out here, but man I gotta give up so much to get it. Then again, the reward of my family being secure makes me not feel so bad about it.

9. Silverbeard

Aug 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    That's my struggle. Trying to determine if a few hundred dollars is worth the sacrifice. I've been OTR and hated it. Yes...money was decent but really not much more to justify the time and expense being away for weeks at a time.
    I think I'm suffering from the "grass is greener" syndrome.

10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I don't know if you have a family or not, but if so, if I only learned one thing in life, it is you give up a lot chasing that almighty dollar, that you can not possibly, under any circumstances get back.

Silverbeard Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Savage Services - www.savageservices.com
    Savage has long-term fixed contracts with local refineries where we pick up and deliver molten sulphur (HAZMAT) via tanker.
    • Up to $75k per year
    • Local work, home every day
    • New Equipment
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.