Looking for suggestions....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by nomad3d, Jun 14, 2016.

1. nomad3d

nomad3d Bobtail Member

May 17, 2013
    So, my wife and I are team drivers and we bought a truck from company in Houston... My credit sucked and hers was ok. We bought a 2011 KW T700. 510000 miles. Ran good, looked good... We didn't have the extra cash to have it checked out real well.... Which I know we should have.

Anyway... long story short, we have had it since January 2016 and put at least 20k in repairs.... Starter, Alternator, DPF Filter, Turbo actuator, doser, brakes, 5th wheel few other odds and ends. Still have an active air leak that we spent 2500.00 to fix and still isn't fixed... and now KW is saying we need a new turbo as well... Another 4500.00 repair....

We've put so much money into this truck... Do we keep throwing money at it or cut our losses and get rid of it? And how can we get rid of it without ruining our credit? Or are we just stuck with it?

We are new Owner/Operators and just at our wits end...

Constructive comments please.... We know we made bad choices purchasing this truck, we just need to know what the best way is to proceed from where we are now.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    You trade it in. You take it to a KW dealer and ask him to take it in in trade. That is the only way to get out of it without taking a hit on your credit.

minirack and nomad3d Thank this.
  4. minirack

minirack Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2016
    Well for starters, I would take it somewhere other than KW. do some forum searching and research and you'd be amazed how much of that stuff you can do yourself for 1/4 of the price.

LumbraX, spax and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. thodges

thodges Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2014
    daytona beach,florida
    What did you buy it for?
    I bought my truck 2007 frt 700k miles. And besides 4k on tires ive spent about 6k fixing old parts.(radiator.compressor..airbags.etc..)
    But for $19k. And a year later i think ive done well.
    But only you know if what you are putting into it is making it a better truck for the long run or if its only hurting you.

Lone Ranger 13, Orange713 and minirack Thank this.
  6. nomad3d

nomad3d Bobtail Member

May 17, 2013
    We bought it for 60k. I'd like to think that at some point, after fixing all the things we've fixed that it would be a good truck... The engine is strong, it's got a cummins isx15 in it. Seems that everything around the engine is what's breaking down..

7. thodges

Jul 13, 2014
    daytona beach,florida
    Tough call....60k initially...20k in repairs..and.still looking at 4500 more..

If i traded it in...all those repairs would have to be included and a hell of a deal. But idk if someone would give you what youd expect from it...you might trade it in and get another truck with more issues...part of this game.
    But you are right, there are only so many things to fix before your truck is dam near brand new.

Lone Ranger 13 and LumbraX Thank this.
  8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Yeah it's a tough call and no hard sure answer but after my experience with the emissions isx and what you have replaced I would keep the truck because you have already plowed thru most of the commen issues .

fordconvert and Lone Ranger 13 Thank this.
  9. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    What engine does it have?

+1 on not taking it to the dealer

10. thodges

Jul 13, 2014
    daytona beach,florida
    Who do you pull for. Some pay better than others..so repairs etc dont hurt as bad. Some even fix it for you then take it out of pay little by little.(just to give you breathing room from what youve spe t already). Ill go first.Im with landstar.

11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It's only matter of a year or two before engine starts to go, I dou bt this truck had oil changed every 10k miles

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.