Looking for ways to get your CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WesternPlains, Oct 16, 2017.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Got a reply from a company on a job application. Talked about how to get CDL A. Suggestions on government grants, etc. Even mentioned Swift as not a bad option. But then, it got to the bottom and I cut and pasted this here....rotflmao!
    LAST RESORT: DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS IT IS A TRAP

• CRST or CR ENGLAND: This is a trap! I have never heard one good thing about these companies! Please do your research before making this mistake.
    [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    You could already be at Prime if you signed up back when you first started asking about them. ;)

4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    crocky..... Try finding out about what you talking about first.
    No, I won't answer your half fast uninformed, closed ended thinking.

You're supposed to have three lobes to each side of your brain. Einstein had four. Try using all three. Don't restrict yourself to one or two.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    crocky Thanks this.
  5. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    I got my training 12 years ago from CR England then got out of there as soon as I had my CDL.
    They claim it is an independent operation so I used it as such.

6. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    That was around when I was going to start trucking. I packed my bags and headed to Indiana on a greyhound bus from Philly worse trip I ever had plus I brought a ton of #### with me. Anyway after the 2nd day of orientation right before I signed that contract I bailed. I was talking to veteran drivers there and I said I'll be happy if I make at least $400. Lots of them laughed and said you'll make close to $200 a week. I said screw that and I got back on the bus headed for home. But that was when I was in my early 20s I was kinda naive then and didn't know a lot of people just talk ########. I'm 40 now and know to research better and only believe a quarter of what you hear. But I know cr England is a garbage company it's more for people with felonies that have limited to no choices. I don't have felonies and .24 cents a mile is felonious.

7. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Can't beat Crete for the 17 day CDL.
    Just don't get stuck in bfe with no money when the hard copy gets mailed.
    Make sure you get the hard copy then find a real company.

8. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Crete=cre
    The spell checker SUCKS!

9. steelcitytrucka

steelcitytrucka Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2017

I actually got my cdl through CRST I went to NADTA. I passed the tests on a 10 speed and got a white hat. I had a great trainer and learned how to truck. I run hard I’ve never hit anything and I havnt accrued any CSA points or gotten any tickets. Is CRST the most desirable place that’s gonna fluff your pillow and give you a safe space? ## no. Is it the highest paying? ## no, is it pretty? ## no..

But can you get a cdl here and become a trucker? Yes you can,

They are pumping out students now on automatics but I know if you raise a fuss they’ll put you through Waterloo where you’ll learn in a 10 speed. Don’t read all the negative comments on guys that probably don’t keep their left doors closed because I did it and I make a killing now with a clean record. I also completed the CRST contract

fishonron, WesternPlains and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Ryan423

Ryan423 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2016
    California
    All megas are the same. They all use the same business model - haul cheap freight by using even cheaper drivers. Swift, england, werner, prime, schneider etc etc. They are all the same.

They all exploit this problem: you can't get a job without experience and you can't get experience without a job. Many new drivers, myself included, made a deal with an evil mega. Get paid crap wages and deal with a load of crap for some experience to land a better paying job.

Many prospective drivers coming onto this site look for the perfect job before they even have their CDL. They get so caught up in finding the perfect company with top pay and equipment that they lose sight of the big picture.

Your first driving job will suck. It will pay crap, you will be dealt a load of crap etc. Here is why: new drivers suck. They get into accidents, they get lost, they tear up clutches, transmissions, and set brakes on fire. They get stuck in off-road conditions. They follow their GPS onto a beach boardwalk. Etc etc.

Someone has to pay for those mistakes. Sure, it cuts into the companies bottom line, but it also cuts into better drivers pay. Why should an experienced driver subsidize these screw ups? They shouldn't. Thats why the better and best companies don't hire brand new drivers.

There are some decent companies that hire brand new CDL drivers but those usually involve manual labor, teaming, or undesireable chemicals.

What is a begginer to do? Pick a decent company with a yard near the house and collect the experience and learn the trade. Then the better paying gigs become available. At one year experience many doors open, at two years, almost all doors are open.

Focus on being a safe, and accident and violation free driver and worry less about whos name is on the side of the door.

11. steelcitytrucka

steelcitytrucka Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Oh and here’s another note. CRST just started a new program that’s in the testing phase that new students are paid a flat 500 week for the first 90 days of you run more miles than that they’ll pay you the difference. If you run less you’ll still get the 500

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.