Looking into hauling fuel for Manito Transit and had a couple questions

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by CornStalk, Jan 5, 2019.

1. CornStalk

CornStalk Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Midwest
    Hey guys, started looking into hauling fuel for Manito Transit in the Midwest. Talked to HR yesterday he said the pay is 65 to 80 a year, pays 30% of the load, 6 day work week, home nightly, pick your start time and have either Saturday or Sunday off. They are busy during spring and fall but slows down during winter months because they haul a lot of fuel for the AG industry.
    I have drove since 2004, but I don’t have my hazmat yet which wasn’t a big deal to them, but I have started the process.
    Just seeing if this is an average fuel hauling job and if anyone on here has worked for Manito, they also offer all the normal benefits and retirement.

Thanks for your input

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    The pay looks like it's a little low. I'm just going by my pay back in the late 90's and I was making a little more than that. But if you're new to the tankers it could be a good company to gain experience. Your choice.

CornStalk Thanks this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Yep. Pay is a little low but good as a rookie starting out.

May not need haz endorsement depending on the fuel they haul. Unless you know for sure already they require it. I once hauled bio. Only endorsement required was tanker.

CornStalk Thanks this.
  5. CornStalk

Jan 10, 2016
    Midwest
    I would need hazmat they haul diesel and regular fuel. I do have my tanker endorsement I haul liquid fertilizer and grain now.
    I would think the higher end of the pay looked pretty good, I would like to at least make 70 to make it worth my switch, but I also understand I’m new to fuel hauling so it might take a year or so to be at the upper end of pay.
    Just trying to figure out if it’s worth the switch I make 60 now working 50 to 60 hour weeks and have 3 weeks vacation, no weekends except during planting and harvest and 401K they match 3%, we get a 2 percent raise every year so far so it would take me forever to get to 70 to 80 a year I’m already 41.

6. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I’d say the pay is a bit low for a 6 day work week. Are they going to be 12 hour shifts? Plus, sitting at home in the winter sounds like no fun. It would be my opinion to go to a common carrier like KAG. At least they would keep you busy year round. Don’t sell yourself short, you have experience, look into some others.

CornStalk Thanks this.
  7. CornStalk

Jan 10, 2016
    Midwest
    They said your 6th day is usually short because you just work what’s left on your clock. Just seems like a lot of uncertainty to me.
    They said drivers gross between 1300 and 2800 every two weeks during the slow months and then during the busy months 3000 to 4000 every 2 weeks

8. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    If it works for your family situation, go for it. Not having year round work is a deterrent for some drivers. I couldn’t do that. There are positives to a family run company sticking to farm work though. I still think you could do better in my opinion.

CornStalk Thanks this.
  9. CornStalk

Jan 10, 2016
    Midwest
    I think your right they treat us really good, and we drive new equipment, they just bought me a brand new W9 and hopper last year. Plus I can come in late or leave early whenever I need to. The little things are worth a lot, they still say thanks for a good day at the end of every day. Thanks for your opinion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.