Looking to become an owner operator....Need detailed advice as far as truck goes...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ryck13, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Ryck13

Ryck13 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I'm looking to get into the O/O business in the next few months and been looking at a either going with
    a Freightliner Classic XL or 379 Peterbilt EXHD.

I'm need to know which is the better buy as far as fuel, weight, maintenance cost, durability, which engine to avoid or obtain...etc.
    I want to either pull flatbed or dry van.
    I've pulled dry van, reefer and flatbed and driven the long nose trucks for as long as I can remember... I just need to be schooled as far as which is better and smarter to buy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Neither truck is the smart truck to buy. Especially for a first time owner operator. Get yourself a cheap no frills big fleet style truck. Long good Pete's are expensive, no such thing as a cheap one. Aerodynamic Columbia's can be had for half the cost and the freight pays the same regardless of how shiny your truck is. Nothing wrong with a guy that wants a nice truck, just not the smart move for a first truck. To big of a learning curve in this business and you need every advantage you can get starting out.

Now all of the above assumes you are looking to be an owner operator so you can make more money, if I'm mistaken and your motives are more about looking cool and running 75 mph. Well then go buy a 379. Best looking truck ever made.

281ric and Ryck13 Thank this.
  4. Ryck13

Ryck13 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I'm looking to get into to make more money. Even while driving my uncle's pete...I rarely went over 68mph. I could careless as far as the chrome and the lights... I grew up around the long hood trucks and I first learned to drive a freightliner classic xl (13spd, c-15) and I just like the overall look and feel to it. I just want to know which is a better buy. I have a great amount of money saved up because I've been researching this for a long time but I need different opinions, views and experiences before I go and pay one off.

5. Ryck13

Ryck13 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    And to be clear I will respect and consider all options and advice. I have thought about the Columbia and the Century.

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Forget the name on the door or how shiny it is or what other people think about how you look. Buy the one that is in the best mechanical condition while still suiting your needs. Oil samples are your friend.

I started with a big, shiny Kenworth W900L. Looked nice, rode nice, problem was it was so mechanically unfit because of the headaches the emissions system .. it was going to bankrupt me. I paid 85,000 for that boat anchor. I now have a Freightliner Classic, 2000, with a detroit 12.7, I have no emissions headaches. I do have more repair bills, but once things are fixed, THEY'RE FIXED. The oil samples on the engine are in very good shape. I paid 18,000 for this truck and it is reliable as the day is long. It doesn't ride nearly as well as the Kenworth and at first it was a bit embarrasing to drive,but once I got over that, this thing is making me FAR more money than the KW ever did. I am still setting aside the same payment amount I was paying on the KW, and I am still further ahead. Yes, I want a big shiny Peterbilt too, but you know what, it just has to wait. I intend to keep this truck as long as possible. I am also very much enjoying not having a payment on this truck, perhaps when the time is right I will pay cash money for a new 389. (The KW dealer pissed me off to the point I will never have another KW)

What is the better story? The guy who bought the cool truck and was in business for a while and didn't have the cash needed when the major repair came? Maybe he is just getting by while his kids are hungry? Or the guy who did what he had to in the beginning, and later rewarded himself when the numbers comfortably allowed it. That is the decision ...

Lucar, norb5150, RAGIN CAJUN and 6 others Thank this.
  7. 1source

1source Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Old town ,AL
    just my 2 cents get what your going to be happy with.

8. precisionpower

precisionpower Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2011
    oshkosh wi
    best advise is above...

9. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Well, the main thing is to find something that is mechanically sound. Hopefully, you can find something that has a rebuilt engine w/ papers, oil samples, etc, that was taken care of.

My opinion (and I can already hear the grumbling of the haters) is that Freightliner is number one. Everybody has their favorite truck, but here is my reasoning.

I have driven every kind of truck there is. Kenworth does zero for me and Peterbilt is worse. Both of those trucks have flat dashes (unless something has changed in the last few years). EVERY TIME that you have to set or release your brakes, you have to lean your body to do so. Not only is it uncomfortable, but it is bad for your back.

The Freightliner has that nice wrap around dash. EVERYTHING is at your fingertips. Radio, ac, brakes, air switches, you can work ALL of it without moving an inch.

Most of the Pits and Kws have an attached sleeper, not integral like the Fld (there are a few flds that have that also, that's true). That means that if you want any leg room and you move your seat back, you hit the back like you are in a daycab. If you have a seat that will recline, you can move the seat all the way back and recline some without hitting anything in the fld. MUCH more comfortable. And that tilt/tele wheel has an incredible range to accomodate any size person. VERY comfortable. Oh, and that separate sleeper has a boot that will have to be eventually replaced. The kw dealer said $800 IF I INSTALL IT. You can probably multiply that for Pitybilt.

Pitybilt has that crazy cluch pedal going into the floor... always felt awkward. And the ones that I was in had a floor mounted brake pedal. So you have to carry an air line and blow the dirt out or your brakes might not work right.

Truckers tend to do a lot of repeating what they hear. "Gotta git me a big pate with a cat". I knew a guy that did that. After making all those COLOSSAL payments, he cried like a baby when it was time for a rebuild. He could not comprehend that engine could cost that amount of money to rebuild.

These trucks all use the same engines, rears, and transmissions. So why is Peterbilt so expensive? The same as Harley Davidson. You pay for a name. Nothing more, in my opinion.

Also, the Freightliner holds the road better than any truck that I have ever been in. Unless you have driven a bunch of different trucks, you won't understand what I mean. The ONLY truck that I have been in that rides better than the Freightliner is Volvo, but overall, I would much rather have the Freightliner.

My opinion is to find a nice FLD with a Detroit. Good on fuel and not crazy expensive to rebuild.

Now before you Pitybilt guys start coming after me like the villagers chasing Frankenstein, this is my OPINION. Everyone has what they like, and that's part of this business. I just don't think the cost justifies what you actually get.

Freightliner is number one!

RAGIN CAJUN, Ryck13, blade and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Catliner

Catliner Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thompson, GA
    With the Freightliner you have lots of room in the sleeper, you can find parts at most Any truck part place. For my Company they have been very good, Because they are cheap and when they break you don't sell your arm and leg to pay for it. As for the rest I back FLD 100%. I would like to mention, your foot is the biggest controller on how much fuel your truck burns, Both our Classic and FLD120 double bunk trucks average 6.9 mpg on our last IFTA report and they are the bricks of the fleet. one has a Cat 3406E 2ws prefix and the other is a Detroit 12.7 Pre Emissions. You get what you pay for as well, whatever you chose don't buy junk!!!!

blade and fld Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.