Looking to buy my own truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Sygmadriver03, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Sygmadriver03

Sygmadriver03 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2016
    Looking to buy my own truck. Hauled just about everything there is to haul over the pass two years. There a local company near me that brokers loads. He takes 15% off the top, he covers, insurance, trailers, trailer repairs, fuel discounts, repair discount in house shop, tags and registration every year. Seems fair to me. Says has lots of local stuff paying 1000-1500 daily. Under 400 miles a day. Would it be worth leaving my company job that pays me 30hr straight time O/T after 40 hrs benefits and all. Im in the middle with it. Would like some input of if thats good or what? I feel like it's two good to be true. But guy that owns the company is a friend of family and I seen the numbers. Some helps and input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    wouldnt it make more sense to look yourself in the mirror and ask the question

4. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Not sure if you’re planning to buy a used or a new truck. With what you describe I would assume a used truck. I don’t know if you’ve checked lately but even if you can find a used truck? They are literally over double the price they were just two years ago. A used Cascadia or Peterbilt with literally 500,000 miles on it will cost you around $90,000 right now.

And I would look that company over real well because they’re all full of BS upfront. 15% for him to take care of all of that doesn’t seem worth it. Landstar takes 35% it doesn’t do half the stuff for you that he’s claiming he does. Anyhow not to burst your bubble but when I figured out that there was no used trucks on the market right now unless I wanted to take one where the sun don’t shine, I changed my mind. At least for now.

Badmon, JoeyJunk and Dino soar Thank this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Don't forget the cost of providing your own health insurance.

Eddiec, JoeyJunk and Dino soar Thank this.
  6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I agree it doesn’t sound right ,. They are not covering all that for 15%

if you’re getting paid by the hour with OT over 40 and benifits and someone else has to worry about all the maintenance , I’d stick where you are for now .

finding a used truck that’s a decent price and reliable is going to be impossible right now .

7. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Lots of real companies take 10 to 15%.
    You will pay trailer rental.
    Insurance every check an stuff like that.

Landstar is ridiculous at 35%

8. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
  9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Nobody can tell you what's best for you other than you. With that said, I think you're going to get screwed if you make that move.

Don379 Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    RUN AWAY FROM THAT DEAL!

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  11. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    They're gonna cover it. But then deduct it out of his settlement like every single other operation does.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.