Looking to lease out my truck

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Buka4ka, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Buka4ka

Buka4ka Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2017
    I have currently come into possession of a 2010 Volvo VNL with about 530k miles on it, I do not have a CDL and the truck still has a little over $30k left on it to pay off. I am in the tri-state area and looking to lease the truck out to a company who would hire a driver but I don't even know where to begin. Can anyone suggest any companies that either purchase or lease trucks?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    YOU hire the driver, they don't. You are leased under their authority and doing that puts the responsibility on you.

I would just sell it.

slow.rider, MrReactor, RERM and 2 others Thank this.
  4. 7seriestv

7seriestv Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2016
    If you've never run a truck before and don't know about the trucking business follow the op above and sell it, drivers are not easy to deal with and if they know that you can't drive and you don't know the business the truck will cost you more than its making.

slow.rider, RERM and chalupa Thank this.
  5. Hogleg

Hogleg Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Salem, Illinois
    Don't know what your back-story is but in my opinion the truck is not worth what you have in the note. The truck selling market is soft, especially for that vintage of truck with flaky emissions. Almost all engines in that time frame had emission equipment that was forced on the market with crappy technology. This truck may be great but the reputation of trucks of that vintage is not stellar.

Sell it and hopefully not take a loss, or let it go back to the company that holds the note.

magoo68 and MrReactor Thank this.
  6. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Any chance you have a friend or associate in trucking that could manage it for you?

7. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    give you the monthly note and 600 extra a week... theres a lack of drivers and the ones out there have awful driving records or want you to pay their taxes

8. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Ah , I think I misunderstood your statement, but if your hiring a driver you should be paying the employer taxes.

9. Hype6477

Hype6477 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    i will say ditto to everyone else, if you don't know this industry and have no desire to run it yourself sell it. let's say you find a company to lease it from you, if it breaks down who is responsible for the repair?

10. Ruben_Leal

Ruben_Leal Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Your best bet is for you to get your own authority and license to run it your self, if you can afford to spend at least another 6 to 8000 bucks in insurance, plates and permits and another 4 weeks of truck driving school that will cost you anywhere from 2 to 4 thousand dollars you could be driving your truck into success starting as power only loads unless you can invest in buying your self a trailer. Don’t try to get a driver it will be the worst decision you will ever make, and it’s not that you won’t be able to find a good driver that’s if and when you do, it’s that the driver needs to get paid as well as you do and in all in the end there will not be enough money to pay the driver, do maintenance to the equipment and pay your self. That is not including taxes and other expenses. With your own authority you could make money hiring a driver but you would have to know how to run your truck. It takes time to learn the curve, although there are experienced people out there that could help you make a better decision, go on Craigslist and look for dispatch services in your area, they normally charge you a percentage of what the truck makes in every load and they will help you get you started by providing you with all you need to start your company and help you with obtaining a trailer through them on your cost after you start rolling, with all permits plates and licenses, you are looking to pay anywhere from 10 to 20 percent for this type of services but you still need a driver or you be the driver. It’s overwhelming but it’s doable, I started my own company without any knowledge in the trucking industry and I did it all on my own, all I did was make lots of calls and asked lots of questions and I got it all done. If you have the drive go for it if not, sell the truck take the loss and look for your self a different business.

11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    You do realize this thread is over 2 years old? ;-) The OP was either a troll, or a one post wonder.

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.