Looking to Work Do CDL Training with Knight but They Want My W-2's

Discussion in 'Knight' started by lbanister, Mar 16, 2015.

1. lbanister

lbanister Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I am looking to go through Knight's Squire program to obtain my CDL liscense but there are a couple things in the conversation that have pause to my going. Firstly, I was told that I needed to turn in previous years' W-2 to provide job verification. I don't have those and that is just quite odd. (don't they have a HR for that) Secondly, I was told that I needed to get my CDL permit in my state before I can even report for school. Is it normal for these types of things to be requested or is it a strange new company policy?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The company HR won't get your W-2's because they have to be ordered from the IRS at a cost af about $130.00
    It's better to get the permit before reporting for school so you can get right to classroom and driving practice.

lbanister Thanks this.
  4. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I found a place online that could get your W-2's for previous years. I did extensive research on this outfit since I was going to be paying by credit card over the phone and divulging personal info. So when I called it was some guy watching TV and a baby crying in the background. Well I gave him the info and used a prepaid throw away Visa check card and had my W-2's in about three days. I paid less than $50 bucks for three W-2's. This was for a home mortgage and I do have to give Knight props for ONE thing. I was able to log into Knights Payroll website and procure the final 2 W-2's I needed, a few years after working there.

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Its normal. They only do it if they cant verify you worked at a place. Two companies I worked for went out of business so I faxed w2s, no biggie. They want you to get your permit first so they dont have to cover the permit portion of schooling and can focus more on backing and company policies. Not all companies do it this way but some do.

6. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Really???? The IRS gives it out for FREE!!!!!

Create a log in and you are set to go.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Chinatown and lbanister Thank this.
  7. lbanister

lbanister Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2015
    Well, the places I worked are easily verifiable, but this was my first conversation with the recruiter and she told me to get the W-2's from jump. I just thought it was a bit weird.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's good to know; everyone I know of has had to pay; must have been through a private agency.

9. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I also needed some past 1040 forms as well. The USG did charge for these at the time AND I needed them quickly.

10. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    If I remeber right its required by law now in trucking to show your last 10 years of employment and your last 3 years of transcripts. Could be wrong its been along time now sense I have changed companys.

11. Thediamond13

Thediamond13 Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Also getting your permit shows some dedication on your part. But the W2's is completely normal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.