Looks like OTR is it.......

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Toona67, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Toona67

Toona67 Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Local driver jobs seem scarce and after a couple of weeks of talking with Jami, the recruiter from TMC, I have been approved for hire. I head down to start orientation on December 7 and then out with a trainer for two weeks before getting my own truck.
    Jami was very professional and helpful, I recommend working with her if you are interested in getting things done efficiently.

Mark

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good for you. Let us know how things go when you can.

Toona67 Thanks this.
  4. Toona67

Oct 23, 2015
    Honestly I am not sure that I have what it takes to be an OTR driver. I have hauled flatbed steel locally and worked the oilfields, so I am no stranger to being away from home. Just not sure what life on the road is going to bring or the best way to utilize my time while doing it.
    That said, I am a pretty fast study, have never been accused of lacking in ambition and one of my best friends has driven truck for nearly 40 years so we will see where this takes me and go from there. :)

Mark

5. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I think it's pretty easy to figure the return on investment in OTR work, Toona. Drive more, earn more. See? Easy! Seriously, I mean it. All the usual things are there, as in any job or line of work, but after all, nobody is going to pay someone to just sit there. (I know, I know) But really, after a brief learning curve, most of which you already have done, you get your dispatch, plan your trip, send in your documents, and on to the next one. It gets to be a rythym, drive, eat, sleep, drive, eat, sleep. OTR work can even be enjoyable, occasionally. If I was younger, single, I'd live in my truck for a couple of years, put all I could into an investment account with a savings account backup, and come out way, way healthy, debt free, and smiling.

Toona67 Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Life on the road takes some discipline. If your good with eating out of a cooler, and micro waving you'll be alright. I mean I like a good hot meal too, but you'll spend a lot of coin if you just eat at the truck stops, and buy your goodies there. You need to be organized, not have any serious problems with your personal life where you need to be home at a certain spot, or you'll go bananas. Keep your sheet wired tight and you'll do great. Get you a Flyn J & Road King card so you can shower. Get a TV and an aerial.

7. Junkyarddog5958

Junkyarddog5958 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2015
    @Dave_in_AZ is correct on loyalty cards. Don't do OTR without a loyalty card anywhere you MIGHT fuel, if have them.

8. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    You can get a refrigerator, more dependable than a cooler. Lots of RV cooking and recreational gadgets available, entertainment as well. Most drivers use a phone company with a good national footprint, strong signal, good availability. I use Verizon, I think it's pretty common on the road.

9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Verizon is the best.

10. Toona67

Oct 23, 2015
    I have had Verizon for many years and I believe my iPhone and I should be good to roll.
    As far as I know all the new TMC Pete's come with a 22" TV in the sleeper and a 1500W inverter for running a small microwave and a small fridge.
    I had not thought about getting Pilot and TA loyalty cards. I think that Flying J and Pilot are the stops preferred by TMC. I will be heading to MI for Thanksgiving and will stop at the the big 3 or 4 and grab a loyalty card for each of them.
    On the eating front, I am a big soup eater anyhow. If I can get a microwave a can of Progresso is dinner for me and once I get a fridge I can swing into Walmarts or wherever to pick up grub. I struggle with my weight as it is and I have really given some thought to how I am going to handle that on the road.
    Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate the input.

Mark

11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Yea they had a list of the 10 worst things you can eat, cinnabons, big macs, whoppers, etc.. Out of the 10, they sell 9 of them at all T/S's.

Toona67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.