losing fuel pressure on my 2011 DD15 Cascadia

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by sandman608, Mar 30, 2014.

1. sandman608

sandman608 Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Arena WI
    I have a 2011 Cascadia DD15 with 312,000 miles recently when I shut it of it will lose fuel pressure after about 15 - 20 min. It does not have a check engine light so Freightliner in Madison WI cant figure out whats wrong. They have checked the injectors and said they are OK, replaced the fuel filter and base unit for the fuel filter. I was told that their is supposed to be a check valve on the rear of the head that is supposed to keep the fuel from draining back in the tank but Truck Country claims mine does not have that valve. So now hear I sit with out working because my truck is unreliable and T.C of Madison WI. cant figure it out!!! So if ANYONE has any suggestion It will be greatly appreciated. P.S It does have a hand pump to prime the system but that is only a Band aid and I should not have prime it manually every time I go to start it !!! Thank you for your time and advice :biggrin_25510:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Did they pull an oil sample to see if it's leaking into the crankcase somewhere? Any leaks apparent on the engine, or puddles of fuel under the truck, esp. if you can restart it then let it sit in the same spot for a while?

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    There are a few recalls. I would think if a crack could develop a leak it could also suck air and let the fuel drain back.

They all sound related to the cheap Bosch stuff. It sounds like you had that replaced? It should of been free of charge.

I'm thinking on the back side of the fuel pump at the inlet is a check valve? Not sure on that engine, just guessing. A check valve is like the finger on a straw effect. But any leak at any connection or gasket would allow air back in and allow it to drain.

I remember reading a few months back about someone's right tank not feeding and there is a yellow fuel tank transfer handle inside the DEF door under the driver's area or something like that. The transfer is irrelevant but a bad gasket or connection would allow it to suck air. Just a thought.

5. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Sad,that the dealer cannot figure how to use an vacuum hand pump to diagnose....

.... Philip

6. sandman608

Mar 15, 2014
    Arena WI
    no they havnt but i will tell them to tomorrow thanks

7. sandman608

Mar 15, 2014
    Arena WI
    WOW did not know about the recalls thanks for the heads up on them I will pass that along to them. Although they generally wont take any suggestions from the "DRIVER" because well you know we don't know what were talking about then again they cant figure it out . If it dont have a code/check engine then their isnt anything wrong LOL Thanks for everyones advice.

8. packerfan603

packerfan603 Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2010
    State of confusion
    I had trouble with my 09 cascadia it turned out to be the shut off valves under the cab the long rod on them bouncing up and down causes them to leak around the packing nut since i never use the i had them replaced with brass fittings no more valves no more troubles. As for town and country they had my truck in december spent over a week there diagnosing a elc. problem in a wiring harness I told them when I pulled in there to just replace it but I'm only a stupid trucker well over 2500$ in shop time looking for the problem they replaced the 300$ harness and who-la it's fixed I would not set foot in that place if it was the last freightliner dealer on the face of the earth I'd have it towed to the moon there nothing but a bunch of smug ***holes the next time I see the Service manager it will be in court.

9. sandman608

Mar 15, 2014
    Arena WI
    thanks when I first took it to them this last timeit developed an anti freeze leak while they had it. They tried to tell me it was a valve above the DEF tank and it is common for it to leak their that all I had to do was drive it for a little while and it would reseal its self that it was only leaking due to the "cold" even thogh it had only got down to the mid 20's LOL what a line of ######## that I told them I wasnt buying it

10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    not sure if you solved problem i had the same issue .it was the low pressure fuel pump leaking due to being worn . the last couple of services i had small amounts of metal on the primary fuel filter screen .i was told its normal guess not .. btw power came up a fair bit after fix due to the slow wearing of the pump gears i hardly noticed how much it lost over time. mileage was at 650,000 miles when it went out no codes whatsoever

11. dificil

dificil Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2014
    mr sandman, we just got a problema like the one you said we lost fuel pressure for no reason , our truck start fine one day and overnigth wont start.our mechanic it says it was a plate with sensors bye the drivers side on the engine , visible , well we took tha part out went to the dealer to look for , part it was to expensibe we talk to mechanis from the dealer and they say it was the problema the fuel pressure check valve. and I ask .. how big is it ? they dont have no idea. allways they replace the complete part. well another mechanic say you guys are wasting you time ..here is you check valve . it was just a regular check valve , wich is conected to the pdf plate, not in the pdf plate no , under and is not part of the pdf platetwo hoses conect there they are fuel lines there is you fuel check valve , good luck and is like 40 dlls part. good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.