Loss of perdiem next year

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by tcwestby, Feb 4, 2018.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They don't want to do that if they think they can get away with converting some portion of your cpm pay to non-taxed per diem which is crap IMO

It's a no-win situation for the hard core OTR drivers and for many other OTR drivers, this new tax plan will be a wash, at best.

But the carriers will love it. Especially the ones that can move a lot of drivers to a twisted Per Diem plan.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I agree.

When I worked construction, I was paid per diem. Get that? I was PAID per diem. Extra pay. Non taxed. On top of, and separate from my hourly pay. Nobody should accept anything less.

4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I was told the same information by my CPA. I itemized all receipts from prior year and was informed the new tax plan was doing away with that for 2018. That's part of the reason I'm becoming an O/O and no longer a company driver. As an O/O almost everything is deductible as a business expense.

5. Taipan

Taipan Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Seems everyone is coming around to realize per diem is gone.Now what??

6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You take company paid per diem ...

7. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    Don't forget to throw in the conservative press as well.
    If you're a Republicrat, you're part of the problem.

8. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    I agree; however, I would also add to the above formula equal pay for everyone. We all work hard, we all take risks; no matter what our positions are.
    One flat pay, one flat tax.
    Don't let anyone fool you; that's a true democracy... not the big commie threat that's been shoved down our throats for the past 70 years.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You can't be serious. And then you immediately say you want no part of "the big commie threat being shoved down our throats"? You expect/want a "true democracy"? That's the most senseless string of comments I've read here in a long time. Completely contradictory and just plain wrong statements. Where did you get the notion we were supposed to be a "true democracy"? I don't think you want to live in a "true democracy" but you're entitled to your goofy ideas, I suppose.

tucker Thanks this.
  10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    As I understand it the standard deduction has gone up enough that it won't affect me. I had around $20,000 in itemized deductions for my wife and myself this year including my mortgage interest and per diem. As I understand it the standard deduction will be around $24,0000 for my wife and myself. Sounds like a wash for me.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Everyone else got a tax cut but you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.