Loss of power momentarily

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by orcen, Apr 1, 2017.

1. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    hey guys,

My dads 02 international 9900 with a series 60 lost power for about 5 seconds after hitting a nice bump on the highway doing 105, check engine and stop engine lights came on as well but went off after a few seconds when everything kicked back in, his jake switch was on at the time so the jakes kicked in but he had absolutely nothing happening on the throttle, all battery terminals seem fine, ground and wiring to the ecm look good... Anyone experience this before?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    if the cel and stop engine lights didnt come on, id say throttle pedal sensor

that those lights did come on, im thinking main fuse panel hanging off firewall

(this is with different truck and motor...western start dd15)

but you could wiggle the fuse box on the firewall and cause the issue to happen

orcen Thanks this.
  4. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Interesting, I've been kinda leaning towards the throttle sensor, the lights would still come in in that case I reckon

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm not super familiar with the Series 60 but we had a Peterbilt with a Cat that would do something similar. Ended up being a faulty coolant level sensor.

orcen Thanks this.
  6. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Interesting, I'd think that would cause additional problems like the fan constantly starting and stopping but who knows, lots of trial and error tomorrow i guess

7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Usually if a coolant level sensor detects low coolant level the ECM will shutdown the engine to protect it. I would think it would at least give a bit of a warning but like I said I'm not really up on trucks as much as I used to be.

orcen Thanks this.
  8. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Another odd thing about it is it's not throwing any codes, or showing anything on the laptop... So weird

9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I would think it'd throw a code for shutdown or log an event at least. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is if you had temporarily lost keyed power. The ECM would likely view that as turning the key off, which wouldn't log anything except maybe an engine start if the Detroit software reads that info.

10. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Don't recall on the series 60, but on the newer detroits if a coolant sensor is at fault, it'll throw a code along with shutting the engine down a few seconds later.

Pretty easy to see if it's a coolant sensor or not though. Typically they'll break from vibration over time OR the most common problem I've seen is people getting up on top of the motor for whatever reasons and bumping the sensor lose or off when climbing up/down.

11. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    The motor doesn't actually shut down in this case, even if it was the coolant sensor it would shut down after 20-30 sec, which makes me think it's the throttle sensor even more

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.