Lost 2 drive tires 7 hrs after repair

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Fatboy2000, Aug 12, 2019.

1. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Had this happen to me once, but my wheels didn’t come off thankfully.
    The shop that did the work initially only paid for the labor cost of the road service not the parts.
    The rims, tires, lugnuts, wheel hub and bearing all had to be replaced

Fatboy2000 Thanks this.
  2. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I would just chalk it up as a learning experience. Next time he feels that WTF vibration for 5 min he will know what's getting ready to go down.

3. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    The question here is whether or not the wheels were properly installed to begin with or cross threaded. Call the shop and let them know the wheels came off.

Cabinover101 and Fatboy2000 Thank this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Cross threading is not the problem, if they do not have the hub piloted wheels up tight and flat they bind,you can torque them all you want and they will be loose after moving the truck a few feet.

Back in the early to mid 70's a hippy was trying to hitchhike on highway 60 west of Clovis NM. Farm and ranch country, no one would pick the hippy up. Along comes a truck and he lost a set of duals hub and all still bolted together.
    The hippy apparently figured if he caught the tires for the guy he would get a ride . Supposedly he jumped in front of them with his arms spread and latched on, he got his ride and room and board at the hospital for several months, lucky to be alive at all.

5. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Really surprised that the driver hadn't checked them at least once, if not more, in 6 hours.

Cabinover101, AModelCat and Fatboy2000 Thank this.
  6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    He might be walking the wrong way. There are many instances of wheels coming off and passing the truck they came off of.[/QUOTE]

In that case, at night the professional driver would blink his low beams a few times to let the wheels know it was safe to come back over after they passed.

7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    here we go with the Truckers Reporet with Hints,allegations and things left unsaid..

I Tell ya- MOST drivers are just that "Drivers"...They go buy tires And they assume everything is going to be ok.....And so they Should.

Just like a soccer mom getting new tires on her Pacifica.....She trusts they know what their doing so her and her family are safe.

I'm Truly getting sick n tired of everyone in the business pointing and blaming the Driver.....

People pay these shops good money to make sure these trucks are Safe and compliant once done with repairs.

Stop pointing the Finger at the Driver all the Time......Wonder Why these guys have Strokes and Heart Attacks- Too Much on their Shoulders.

And Stop with the "Check em at 50 miles". Cause You know the mahority aren't doing that.

This one goes 100% on the Shop ..

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Always keep an eye on your nuts. Regardless of tires or not.

I went 2 months when mine rolled off the truck. Usually there's a dirt or rust streak that extends out from the nuts to indicate the nuts need to be retorqued. If the tires have been on there for awhile. That streak indicates the nuts are coming loose.

In my case. The brakes were cammed over and sort of pressing against the drum. Causing a vibration to loosen them up. You didn't feel the vibration or brakes being tight. No indication there was a problem. But when I got loaded and drove around the plant to get on the scale. The truck stopped moving.

Thank goodness it happened at the plant and not on the freeway.

In todays world where vehicles loosing tires seems to be a common theme.

I see cars all the time. But the only semi I've seen so far. Was a fire truck in California. Hope he wasn't on a call.

Cabinover101 and Fatboy2000 Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would agree with you on this but that's not the case of a driver, this is an owner, they have to do more than be a driver and it is a responsibility. In this case it is his fault not to make a check of them, at lease a couple hours after they were done and do a load check at the same time.

The op's husband is lucky he didn't kill anyone. But he is also very lucky that the cops didn't see it happen because that could be a huge problem being out out of service and the truck towed, I have not seen road service to repair a hub on the side of the road.

Has this happened to me or my drivers?

Yes it has and it was caught just before a disaster.

The shop is indeed liable, they will have to deal with the damages but other loses my be eaten.

Cabinover101 and brian991219 Thank this.
  10. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC

I drive 3 legged quite a bit.... I didn’t think it was a problem.....

86scotty Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.