Lost laptop? Sue for millions!

Discussion in 'Other News' started by firstcav, Feb 13, 2008.

1. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    Is your laptop worth $54 million?

Raelyn Campbell of Washington, D.C., is suing Richfield-based Best Buy for that amount after it lost her laptop computer while it was in for repairs.
    Campbell, who could not be reached Tuesday, filed a negligence lawsuit suit against the company in Washington Superior Court on Nov. 16, seeking fair compensation for replacement of the $1,100 computer and extended warranty, plus expenses related to identity theft protection.

Best Buy spokeswoman Nissa French said in an e-mail that Campbell "was offered and collected $1,110.35" as well as "a $500 gift card for her inconvenience."

http://www.startribune.com/business/15571092.html

Duh!! I wouldn't have settle for less than $20 million.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    How did they lose it?:biggrin_25513:

4. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    There is a guy here in town. Someone broke into his truck and stole his notebook and camera. He is offering 10K for his notebook. Thats alot more then what bestbuy is offering.

5. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    We got one of the letters from the gooberment, that hubbys information was on the laptop that was stolen. Since he's a veteran, its possible that his information was on it. How much should that be worth? :biggrin_25523:

6. firstcav

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    10K, what kind of information did he have on that thing?

7. rookietrucker

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    From what the article said, All his business contacts and records were there. Including photos of his deceased mother. Apparently he didn't make any backups of any of it. Which makes a good point>. You should back any and all info onto dvdrw/cdrw/cdr disks. Don't rely on a usb hard drive either.

8. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Does the article say anything about how they lost it? Maybe I missed that part, but just to misplace a laptop I don't get it.

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Keep in mind of the liability that she has for the information on her laptop. This is something she can be sued for also. I keep all of my tax clients's info on my laptop with backups.

10. rookietrucker

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    Stuart Parsons is sick and tired of his stuff being stolen. He’s so fed up he’s offering a $10,000 reward to anyone who returns a laptop and video camera taken from his truck Friday.
    That’s right — $10,000 for equipment that would cost Parsons less than half that to replace.
    The 35-year-old roofing company owner admits he arrived at the figure when he still was steamed about being ripped off. After he walked out of Cheddar’s restaurant on Franklin Avenue on Friday afternoon and saw that the back window of his Ford F-250 pickup was smashed and that a bag containing the Sony equipment was gone, all he could think about was getting it back.
    Parsons took out a half-page ad in the Tribune-Herald. He also called local television and radio stations, trying to get information about the reward on the air.
    “I was mad and probably more emotional at the time than anything else,” he said.
    Parsons was partly driven by the fact that three months ago, another laptop was stolen out of his truck while it was parked at his home in Chalk Bluff, he said. It just seems wrong that some people apparently think they can take what others have worked for, he said.
    More than that, Parsons just wants the items back.
    The laptop contained about 2,000 photos, some of which were of his mother, who is now dead, Parsons said. Many of the photos are backed up but not all of them. The computer also has a wealth of information about his personal financial and business dealings, he said.
    After calming down this weekend, Parsons said he has decided he likely will donate the reward money to charity if the stolen items never surface. But he says he still would pay up if someone produced them, no questions asked.
    Over the weekend, a couple of people called Parsons, saying they could identify the burglars, he said. One even gave him a license plate number, which he passed on to police.
    But Parsons isn’t optimistic about that leading anywhere. The same afternoon his truck was broken into, police recovered the leather bag the camera and laptop had been in. A woman who lives in the 2000 block of Wood Avenue reported finding it in the street in front of her South Waco home, Waco police spokesman Steve Anderson said.
    The bag still had Parsons’ checkbook and some work papers in it. But the laptop and camera were gone, as well as an iPod and some expensive headphones that had been in the bag.
    “I’m sure they’ve already sold it,” Parsons said of his items.
    Still, Parsons hopes that whoever bought the items will realize they got too good of a deal and seek him out. After all, they could buy several laptops and cameras with the reward.

11. firstcav

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    That's a lot of money, but it sounds like it's pretty important to him. I hope he gets it back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.