Love people who take pride in their work

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Bakerman, Apr 6, 2020.

1. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Bad grounds can do that

Bakerman and Superhauler Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Yeah I know, among other things. But some of these failures happened in like no time flat. It was unreal

4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    I'm thinking they didnt have good grounding to the block or radiator. Or maybe just inferior metal compound in the liners, I dont know. If the liner didnt have enough clamp force (protrution) maybe the liner was fretting that would cause electrolysis?

Bakerman and lester Thank this.
  5. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Yes I'm not saying he's a hack. Never heard bad about him. He has his opinions on things and I have mine. To each their own. I've used IPD kits. Only had one failure, had a wrist pin bushing fail on one. Caught it in time where it didnt destroy the engine.

SAR and Bakerman Thank this.
  6. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    That kid has horrible work habits. Working under that engine while it's hanging from a forklift is so unsafe. I know he comments about it & doesn't care. Works great until it doesn't. Putting a lot of trust in a chain. He's doing a big dollar job he should probably invest in an engine stand. Keeps the engine off the floor & makes the job go much easier.
    Another video that popped up he's got an engine apart & leaves the intake tube wide open. A bolt, nut or anything falling in could make for an expensive lesson. Masking tape is cheap.
    Sloppy work habits usually catch up with you.

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I know multiple people who overhaul engines for a living and don't use a stand, I wouldn't work on it while it's hanging off a forklift though.

8. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    I've put together a lot of engines without a stand. If my father or any of my mentors saw me work like that I'd have a bad day. Doing the engine from the block up a stand makes the job easier. He wouldn't need to work under it if he had one.

9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Not that long ago nobody had a stand, you threw it on the floor and tear into it. I know one guy with a stand, can't quite put a big Cat on it, but you still end up working under the engine to pull pistons and liners, and I'd trust a chain before bolts.

10. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Yeah but isn't the chain held on by a bolt????

11. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I watch his videos and find the information he puts out is pretty accurate. I don't remember him ever stating that he was making a video that was 100% by the book. If he chooses to take a risk, it appears he is self employed and he is accepting the liabilities. I briefly worked in a shop that was 100% over the top safety oriented and I felt some of the safety measures actually made my job less safe, so I moved on. If you don't like what he is doing, don't watch his videos. There is more than one way to complete a job.

Flint1, D.Tibbitt, dirthaller and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.